Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Broke up with girlfriend 2 years ago. Missed her ever since.

Broke up with girlfriend 2 years ago. Missed her ever since. Found out recently she moved and is possibly married. I want to contact her. I wonder if this is a wise decision?

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you still miss your ex-girlfriend after all this time, I can imagine how much it must hurt you to not be in her life

Dr. Z :

May I ask, why would you want to contact her now after 2 years?

Customer:

I still love her and want her in my life. Even if its just as a friend.

Dr. Z :

And what if you find out that she is married and does not want to be in your life?

Customer:

I won't bother her again. Might lose my mind.

Dr. Z :

I understand, so you missed her all this time, have you tried contacting her before?

Customer:

No I haven't. I've thought about her every day since we broke up.

Dr. Z :

Why did you not try to contact her before since you missed her so much?

Customer:

I was angry she broke up with me. About a month after she broke up with me she wanted to see me and said that she missed me. But I told her I didn't want to see her. I've regretted that decision. I also found out she started dating her ex-boyfriend. That made me angry as well. But I still missed her.

Customer:

I know she moved away with him and is possibly married to him now.

Dr. Z :

Well it is possible that she is remarried or not, but the only way you will find out is if you contact her. I do not see a reason why you cannot contact her, but I just want you to be prepared that it may not go the way that you hope it will go.

Dr. Z :

Also here is a technique I use with patients to analyse to negatives and positives of particular solution to a problem (e.g. should you call or not).

Dr. Z :

This can help you objectively look at the advantages and disadvantages of every solution that you want to make