Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am having trouble with anxiety because i keep getting calls

I am having trouble with anxiety because i keep getting calls from a fake debt collector who is telling me i will be taken to court tomorrow. its to late to pay him now. My friends and family think oit is a scam.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are going through this anxiety regarding this fake debt collector, I can imagine how this distresses you. There have been more reports of scams like these since the start of the recession in 2008 unfortunately

Customer:

Ok Thankyou

Dr. Z :

So may I ask, what makes think that this is a scam and a fake debt collector?

Customer:

because when I asked for his address he got mad. The so called debt never happened and it was four years ago with no no replies from the company

Dr. Z :

Okay, so yeah I definitely agree with you that this sounds like a scam and that you should not be worried about this. One reason that you are having anxiety is because you are focused on the negative thoughts and possible outcomes, but not the objective thoughts. There is a therapy called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) that has techniques that can help you with this. CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen.

Dr. Z :

I can teach you some of these techniques, recommend some good anxiety books, and also recommend some natural supplements and medications for you as well to help lessen this level of anxiety you have

Customer:

i tried the therapy along time ago. it helped but since then havnt done anything. im bipoloar ocd

Customer:

take meds

Dr. Z :

What kind of medications do you take?

Customer:

clomipramine,lamictgnine,abilify hydroaxine an clonipin sometimes

Dr. Z :

Okay those are very strong medications, but very effective. And for the therapy, did you try CBT therapy before?

Dr. Z :

CBT is the most evidence based therapy out there that has been proven to help with anxiety and OCD

Customer:

yes about 10 years ago

Dr. Z :

And do you think it will not be effective for you today if you continue with the techniques?

Customer:

yes it helped before

Dr. Z :

Would you like me to teach some of the techniques and provide you with some more up to date books that can help you

Customer:

ok

Dr. Z :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

Dr. Z :

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping lessen anxiety symptoms. It can help you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

Dr. Z :

Also individuals with severe anxiety have a poor coping mechanism, so this worksheet will help you develop a better coping strategy to manage your depression better.

Dr. Z :

These three books are also really effective in helping manage anxiety and OCD as well.

Customer:

I will look at these tonight

Dr. Z :

In addition, I want to introduce you to something called Progressive Muscle Relaxation as well that can help you create a long term calm by using muscle tension and release techniques; it can help manage your anxiety and is very similar to a style of meditation.

Dr. Z :

This is something that has been used since the 1920's and is very effective

Customer:

thank you. can i get to these urls after our conversation

Customer:

i want to take my time

Dr. Z :

Remember you have to think objectively and focus on that to avoid the anxiety from this scam artist. So far you are doing a great job, and not falling for it, but this has been harmful to your psychological health and that is the point of these techniques to help you remove the negative thoughts

Customer:

yes

Dr. Z :

Yes the links will be available to you after the chat closes. You should get an email with a link to this chat after you rate me, and also this chat will always be saved in your JA account under "My Questions"

Customer:

thankyou you have been very helpful

Dr. Z :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

No thanks

Dr. Z :

Well I wish you the best of luck with everything, so far you are doing great by not succumbing to this scam's threats, so keep that up. And just remember you have nothing to worry about from this scam as they are just trying to use fear and intimidation to get your money, nothing else. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

i will thanks ill grade you now

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.