DrMichael-MD, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Board Certified psychiatrist with 25+ years diverse experience, specializing in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.

My grandson is ADHD with speech problems and bone deformities.

My grandson is ADHD with speech problems and bone deformities. He is 10 years old. He has been on Vivance for almost a year along with trazadone and 0.1 mg Kapvay twice a day. Yesterday his parents talked the doctor into changing his meds, he has been having melt downs, anger, tantrums, hurting his siblings. The doc put him on atarol along with his trazadone and doubled his Kapvay. He lives with me and my husband along with his dad and brother and sister. I am concerned about his health, his ability to concentrate and manage in school. I am also concerned about his liver and other health problems that constant use of the drugs will have long term. Can you give me some insight. I know this is just a small taste of the info you need. I will answer your questions if I can.

Dr. Michael :

Sorry to hear your Grandson is having so much trouble. In my experience, there is no long-term problems with taking the current medications your Grandson is on. However, if you are concerned his pediatrician can do some routine blood work to check his blood chemistries and liver functions. If possible, your grandson should be seeing a child psychiatrist as his situation and case sounds somewhat complicated. It may also be helpful to enlist the help of a school behavioral specialist who can figure out what are causing his anger and fighting. Hope this little bit is helpful.

Customer: Thank you
Hello! DrMichaelH here checking in to see how things are going with your Grandson. If you have further questions let me know.