Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

Hi well i am currently on 100mg of zoloft, i was able to increase

Hi well i am currently on 100mg of zoloft, i was able to increase without any major dizziness but i am still having some intrusive thougts not as much as i use to like i can actually concentrate but then i still donthe mental checking to see if i am having intrusive thougts, do i need an increase or is this 100 mg dose going to work? I have been at 100 mg for 2 weeks now

Dr. Z :

Hello there

Dr. Z :

So it seems like you are making some progress as some of your symptoms seem to lessening due to the 100mg of the Zoloft, which is a good thing. It usually takes around 2-3 months on the Zoloft to achieve a maximum benefit, so I would say that 2 weeks is too early right now

Customer: Hi
Dr. Z :

I would wait another 2 weeks and if your intrusive thoughts are not continuing to lessen then you can go up to 150mg or to 200mg on the Zoloft. I would advise going up to 150mg because this may be effective for you and will reduce the chance of side effects

Dr. Z :

You do not want to increase too fast on this medication as that can cause side effects and you want to achieve the lowest therapeutic dosage for yourself

Dr. Z :

So in the next two weeks if you notice a gradual drop in your intrusive thoughts then it seems like this dosage is working for you and it just takes time to accumulate in your body

Dr. Z :

If you notice a plateau of your intrusive thoughts, then it would suggest that this dosage may not be enough for you

Customer: So i started at 50 back in july and now currently on 100 kinda losing hope here that it will work for me the first time i was on meds wih my first experience i was on 150 of effexor
Dr. Z :

Well then you can go to 150mg if you would like, I do not want you to lose hope, you may get some side effects of agitation and restlessness, but these usually go away in 2-3 weeks. Usually the effective dose for your symptoms are 150-200mg with the Zoloft. I jsut wanted to point out that this medication does appear to be working as you notice the intrusive thoughts are not as bad, so that is a positive for you

Dr. Z :

If you did not notice any benefits at the 100mg of Zoloft I would have been more concerned that this medication was not effective for you, but because you noticed some benefits is a good sign

Customer: Ok thanks
Dr. Z :

Anytime I am always happy to help, is there anything else I can assist you with?

Dr. Z :

Here are also a list of the common and rare side effects associated with Zoloft, usually the common ones are temporary

Dr. Z :

Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Dr. Z :

I see that you are offline right now, but when you get back online I would be very interested in continuing this discussion with you and talking about anything further you would like to share regarding your concern, so if you respond in the chat box I will be able to get back to you as soon as possible.

Dr. Z :

The system alerted me that this chat is still open, did you have any further questions or concerns?

Customer: Oh sorry i am at work so i left it on bit thanks for ur help i really hope the zoloft continues to wrk for me
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I just upped my dose from 100 to 150mg this will be my second day. I was not able to see my doctor in person but she did a phone appointment. I forgot to ask how long will I see full effects of the 150mg of Zoloft ?

Hello again,

I would say in 3-6 weeks you should see the maximum effectiveness or close to the maximum effectiveness of 150mg of the Zoloft. After a week though you should start to see gradual and slow improvement in your symptoms and less of the intrusive thoughts. I wish you all the best and if you have any other questions at all, please feel free to contact me at anytime.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi this is my 2 week at 150 mg of Zoloft. I am feeling a little jittery my hands are a bit shaky but nothing to bothersome. I also feel a bit anxious at times. Is this normal? and will it go away?

Yes the jittery feeling that you are having, increased anxiety, and the hands shaking is not unusual and it is a temporary symptom as your body gets used to the increased dosage. It should go away in another 2-4 weeks for you. Because it is not bothersome, it may actually go away quicker for you too, so this is fortunate news. These are known temporary side effects of the medication, but they will not last and you should start to notice the benefits of the medication very soon. I wish you the best and if you need anything at all, please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.