Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

As a child I was on ritalin, Difficulty in school and concentrating. Its

As a child I was on ritalin,
Difficulty in school and concentrating.
It's been a long time since and as I have
continued to struggle as an adult in concentration
procrastination feeling somethinf is wrong with my brain
wondered if it could be adhd from childhood still.
Is it worth trying medication now as an adult?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are having difficulties concentrating and focusing as an adult, I can imagine how that can be distressing for you

Dr. Z :

It is true that if you had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) as a child, then it is possible that this disorder may have continued into adulthood. Some individuals with childhood ADHD to grow out of this disorder spontaneously, for reasons most researchers are not sure of, but some individuals do continue with the symptoms of ADHD well into adult hood. So I believe that taking a stimulant medication like Adderall, Ritalin, or Vyvanse can be effective for your inattention and concentration issues

Dr. Z :

Also there is a possibility that mental health disorders of depression and anxiety can cause symptoms of inattention and difficulties with concentration so I would like to ask do you have any similar common symptoms of anxiety or depression that are similar to the symptoms in these two links?

Dr. Z :

So I would suggest that you can go to your general practitioner or a psychiatrist and mention your symptoms and he/she will prescribe you the appropriate medications or you can go to a psychologists that specializes in testing and evaluation to confirm a diagnosis of Adult ADHD, anxiety, depression, or other possible causes for your concentration issues. I can recommend an assessment psychologist in your area if you like

Dr. Z :

I see that you are online right now, so I will stop typing and allow you to read over what I wrote and please feel free to ask me any questions or concerns you may have

Dr. Z :

This also a good link containing more information of Adult ADHD for you

Customer: Thank you for your answer. I have a primary doctor or is ot best to go to
Customer: I do have a primary doc I could go to or is it best to go to a specialist?
Customer: Is it best to go to a specialist or would my primary be fine? O have struggled some with depression but not on a severe basis.
Dr. Z :

I would say you can go to your primary doctor and if he/she feels that you may need further tests from a specialist than your primary doctor can refer you. If your primary doctor feels that your symptoms fit a particular mental health disorder like the ones I described than he/she will prescribe you the appropriate medications and if you get better than most likely the primary doctor was correct, if not then I would say going to a specialist would be best for you

Dr. Z :

If your depression has not really been severe, then most likely depression is not the cause of this distraction and concentration issues. I feel that Adult ADHD fits best because of your history and the stimulant medication should help a lot

Dr. Z :

If you do want a specialist, I would recommend an assessment psychologist to run a battery of psychological tests on you to get a accurate diagnosis. If you like I can recommend such a psychologist to you, I would just need your zip code to find one in your area

Dr. Z :

Although I think just going to your primary doctor would be fine and most likely cheaper for you

Customer: thank you so much for your help.
Dr. Z :

Anytime, is there anything else I can do to assist you today?

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.