Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Hello,general question for dentist & mental health

Customer Question

Hello, I have a general question for dentist & mental health (I placed it in two categories, I recently removed some metal amalgam fillings (5-6 of them) from my teeth which were old (30 years) as part of maintenance and restoration and replaced them with modern fillings (I think called white ones). After the removal, I heard they contained mercury (plus other metals as wel) which can be toxic. I heard some bad things in regard to mercury toxicity, including possible mental health problems? I would like to know more if you have any info and what may be done in case of mercury poisoning, or toxicity. I beleive my dentist used some degree of protection but including a dental dam before removing, but not any other special equipment etc. For the bigger fillings, he did give me a mask to wear, the same as he was wearing. That is all I know. If you have any info, I would appreciate. Thanks.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.
Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and I am a psychiatrist and I believe I can help you with your problem.

Well your concerns about mercury poisoning are justified since the amalgam teeth fillings have elemental mercury which although is usually safe in solid form but when inhaled or ingested in the form of vapors can cause poisoning but the mental symptoms that you are talking about occur not with elemental mercury that is present in fillings but it is associated with poisoning with organic mercury which is found in certain fish who have consumed methyl mercury, thimerosal, etc, all in all the mental health problems are not associated with elemental mercury poisoning.

You shall watch out for below mentioned symptoms which. if develop indicate towards poisoning and these are - metallic taste, nausea and vomiting, difficulty in breathing, severe cough, swollen bleeding gums. In this situation you shall report to emergency without delay.

For additional information about mental health problems / symptoms which can develop with organic mercury poisoning that is not in your situation , these are as mentioned below.

Numbness, tremors, memory impairment, inability to walk, poor coordination of limbs and loss of balance, blindness, double vision, seizures and in severe cases death.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Doctor, thank you. I understand what you say. I had about 6-7 metal fillings for 30 years and I removed them over a period of last 2 months. Additionally, I stopped eating fish for last two months. The reason is because I was told that mercury in fish and mercury in amalgam fillings may make people mad, i.e. cases of schizofrenia among other symptoms of memory loss and immune deficiency, etc?

Is this possible and what should I do if I have such symptoms? Also coupled with the fact that I removed the amalgams in what may seem to be now a not very protective way, i.e. with a surgical mask and dental dam only. I am concerned that I may have inhaled mercury in the process, or absorbed through the skin/ mouth, or swallowed.

Additionally I was told recently that B vitamins, particularly B12 binds with elemental mercury (I beleive?) in the body and may form the more toxic form methylmercury that you mentioned. Is this true? Unfortunately, I have been supplementing with B vitamins (B50 and sometimes even B100) for quite some time - perhaps months, or even year(s) - and only recently (last few days) I quit B vitamin supplementation.

Is it possible I may have any problem, serious or not, with mercury poisoning? Should I go see a doctor?

These are my questions.

Thanks.

P.S. I will leave a tip also.

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Well since for past 2months you have been off fish as well as mercury fillings and so far there does not seem to be any of the poisoning present and I believe whatever amounts of mercury that was there in your body by now it must have been either diminished to traces or removed totally, in either case the poisoning risk has been mitigated considerably thereby making it a safe zone for you to stop worrying about the consequences of poisoning.

It is unlikely that the mercury had bonded with vitamin b 12 because if that had been the case then some of the above mentioned symptoms must have come the fore which is not seen thereby banishing the risk of methyl mercury formation in the body.

I do not believe that you have any sort of mental condition as a result of amalgam fillings and. schizophrenia does not develop this way, please reassure yourself of that.

I will reiterate that there does not seem to be any sort of mercury poisoning issue with you and your cognitive functioning is impeccably intact as is evident from your use of language skills which I must address would not be there by now if you have had poisoning .

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks doctor, I understand what you say. I have another question so i will double the payent amount to $60 (plus tip) if you can answer.

The reason I am asking these questions is because I dont seem to really feel very well. It appears it coincided with the removal of the amalgam fillings i.e. about 2 months ago and as we speak now it seems I may be having some unexplained depression. I never had this before, so is difficult to know what depression is but it seems I am not exactly myself as probably before removing the amalgam fillings. I dont know if it is the mercury or other reason but recently I been feeling a bit spacious, a bit depressed which seems like a gloomy, or negative pessimistic feeling which i dont beleive I had before a well as more like empty/ idle mind.

Also, I had some unexplained diarhea for days lately, though sometimes it improves to normal so it is difficult to attribute it to any pathology except the food I eat mostly - I should say this - a yogic diet.

Additionally, insomnia is another problem for me. the last 2 months seems to be creeping in and I noticed I shifted my hours of sleep to being able fall asleep in the morning hours and wake up late in the noon time.

I am also perceiving some kind of unexplained 'psychosis', but I dont really know what this word means as I had no experience before (and i would prefer I never have of course) but, in other words, I have in and out different perception, or sometimes I may hear screams of what seems to be dispair, or see people sometimes in my mind/ imagination, not so agreeable people to add.

Also, whatever sleep I get, I may have dreams usually of horror content, i.e. once last week I remember seeing a small black demon or something of sort circling around my bed, always running behind my back when trying to turn to see him directly. Now the problem is, I dont remember if waiking up, the dream continued for brief amount of time, and it scared me or creeped me out in this sense. Is this a psychosis? I dont know and I sure hope it is not. I dont know anything about mental health.

Another situation I noticed past 2 months is I may be having some form of fear of knifes in the kitchen? Is this normal? I avoid knifes, or pointed things, which alerts me that something isn' t probably right, i.e. my mind seems agitated in this sense. Additionally, I may avoid being alone, or in solitute, or when I go to sleep because the mind still seems to be a bit active? I also may feel some pressure in the head sometimes but not headache and hopefully there is no cranial infection, or miningetis, or something like this. I don' t know what these things are and I hope not schizofrenia, or losing once' s mind, or anything like this. I have no experience of these things and I would hope - god help - I never get in such conditions, etc.

So, my question is from where do these agitated symptoms come from? I dont think I should ignore them, or at least any more. Is it from mercury? If not, what has been the trigger then in last two months? Is it viral infection, or bacteria? All my tests show ok, ie. blood, hormones, even urine and stool all look ok. Could it be toxin overload, or still some infection somewhere? I dont have cancer - at least as of I know which I thank god of course, I tested for HIV some time ago and I was negative - again thank god - and also I dont have signs of herpes, etc and I did test once couple years ago for herpes and was negative (thank god again).

So, where can we attribute that I get mental disturbance, or depression and the other symptoms when I did not have before?

Anyhow, since you are from India, I can mention I am a yoga practitioner for 5 years. I do hear some things in the yoga circle about some problematic yoga practice, specifically raja yoga, etc, but anyway may be is not of the matter of discussion here.

So, my question based on these findings what should I do? I hope not any chance of worsening symptoms, I dont think I would welcome that and I should find where these problems stem from so I can fix it.

Thank you.

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Well let me clarify your doubts, i do not think you are developing psychosis nor are you suffering from mercury poisoning for the simple reason that the poisoning would have been much more serious and critical in damaging your health and you would not have been this much fit to have this sort of conversation on the internet where you seem to be quite within your true elements and have been using logic, judgment and reasoning in questioning and conversing all of which would have been a distant reality had you been suffering from psychosis or mercury poisoning.

Now coming to the point where you profess about being depressed and emotionally disturbed and gloomy, well to this my reasoning is that based on your past history it seems like you have a condition called as Hypochondriasis where in there is a pervasive fear that looms in your mind of getting affected by a serious incapacitating / life threatening condition be it a cancer or HIV or serious mental illness like schizophrenia , etc and when one illness fear gets over soon after that fear of another serious illness takes over your life leading to multiple doctor visits and innumerable number of investigations, all of which ruling out any major organic cause thereby giving you a sense of relief which only lasts as long your mind does not gets preoccupied with another serious illness.

So your fear of mercury poisoning is nothing but a part of this Hypochondriacal vicious cycle and due to your pervasive indulgence and fear of getting seriously affected by this condition you have developed stress, anxiety and depression and all of these have taken away your quality of life which reflects in your gloomy sullen look.

So i will suggest that you shall first bring a closure to your fear of having contracted mercury poisoning as this is not the case at all and you are just over indulging yourself in this diagnosis.

Secondly i will recommend that you seek CBT ( Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) from a psychotherapist/ clinical psychologist which is a type of specialized counseling technique used effectively to manage hypochondriasis, anxiety and depression other than making person like you more emotionally strong and resilient so that you can endure stress better in future.

Other than seeking CBT , i will also suggest you to get an anti depressant drug such as Lexapro ( escitalopram ) at dose of 10 mg / day prescribed from your physician and start on it on a daily basis, this shall not only allay your depressed and gloomy mood but also help you to overcome anxiety and sense of fear. This drug shall be used for at least 3-4 months so as to get considerable relief from all of your mentioned conditions plus this drug in combination with CBT shall become a formidable treatment strategy enabling you to counter any stressor including the ones you are currently experiencing.

Now as far as hearing of voices are concerned it is not psychosis but an extension of your underlying overwhelming anxiety plus the horror dream about demon is concerned that was a nightmare and it is common for a person to have memory of the nightmare which often transcends into one's conscious awareness the way it happened with you when you claimed to have the dream having been continued after waking up.

So all in all it is certainly not psychosis or mercury poisoning but it does look like you are struggling with Hypochondriasis along with depression and anxiety which can be dealt with by using CBT and Lexapro combination.

Kindly discuss this with your doctor.

Kindly see the link below for better understanding of Hypochondriasis.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/hypochondriasis/hic_hypochondriasis.aspx

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards.

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello doctor,

Thank you very much. i will print out both your diagnosis and the Hypochondriasis page you put the link to and i will go to my doctor - a pathologist - and he can recommend me to a psychologist, or psychiatrist. The pathologist did say over a year ago, I may be a hypochondriac... but I had no idea what he meant, neither did he pursue any further treatment for me - he just dismissed my anxiety symptoms.

To say the truth my recent anxiety over amalgam fillings is from a book which lists certain symptoms - among others - as follows:

Frequency of symptoms in those of mercury amalgam fillings:

...

Death wish, or suicidal intent

...

This freaked me out to the point I removed the amalgam fillings and it still scares me until today for possible mercury poisoning. I actually stopped eating fish which I still beleive is a good thing to do, as I heard fish contain methylmercury a substance 1000 times more toxic than mercury. Again, eating fish all my life until 2 months ago, again freaked me out quite considerably.

Is it possible a hypochondriac develop suicidal symptoms just by reading statements such as the above in relation to amalgam fillings? I also heard that dentists who work with mercury amalgams - as well as their assistants - may have higher suicidal rates than other groups. Do you know anything like this in your field or practice?

This scared me again, probably causing me obsession with mercury poisoning.

Is it possible someone termed hypochodriac to enter into such situation to envision, or play out/ act suicidal intent scenarios? Because that would be quite bad and how I guard against such situation?

I dont think it is any fear of me falling ill, or dying, as in coardice, that may be causing my situation, but I may consider such occurance very unfortunate.

Anyhow, you do give me hope, your diagnosis seems quite correct and i will have it in mind. You are the second doctor to specify this, or more precicely the third - a neurologist also told me the same thing about inconsistency in symptoms not matching any illness.

Thank you very much for what you have said.

Sincerely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello doctor,

If you are still available I would like to ask a follow-up question on the same topic for additional $30.

All/ most of the above symptoms I described are gone. Especially the feeling of depression i mentioned initially, it is gone.

What seems to be remaining is I keep having aversion, or fear of knifes in the kitchen and I am afraid of walls, i.e. not hit my body/ head on walls. This is sort of strange sensitivity, I hope is not anything self- destructive.

I tried to read some books on certain relevancy to the above, I found some info, the first talking about panic, the second about guilt/ shame being repressed and may manifest as fears, or self-destructive tendencies, third that certain behavior may be associated with possession by a spirit which is not considered pathological, etc...

Anyhow, I am just mentioning these, do you have any insight on these? I' d appreciate very much.

Thanks.

Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

Well you see the fear that you harbor about knives and walls etc seem to be associated with underlying generalized anxiety which must have been there for long time without your conscious awareness and which could have been stemmed from a past traumatic life experience which occurred many years back in the form of emotional or physical abuse which has still not resolved within your mind and has been presenting itself in this particular manner of making you anxious and fearful of such inanimate objects without any reasonable explanation known for the same.

I will thereby encourage you to ask your doctor to start you lexapro ( generic name -- escitalopram) at dose of 10 -20 mg / day along with clonazepam at dose of 0.5 mg twice a day and continue this regime for at least 6-8 weeks so as to overcome this pervasive fear / anxiety.

You see CBT as suggested before too can perhaps be used to unearth and give plausible explanation to your condition and also help to solve the unresolved emotional complex which might have been brewing within you all this while and using such a presentation of symptoms to express itself.

I hope this makes sense. I can understand if you find some of the concept hard to understand since it involves psychology but the botXXXXX XXXXXne here is that there could very well be a past traumatic life experience which has not been resolved till date and which is leading to your current anxiety.

I do not think this is a self destructive behavior but it is anxiety ridden behaviour which can be dealt with if you use the two drug regime and support them with CBT.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards.

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello doctor,

Now that I think of it, some events in my life may have been sort of perhaps 'turning points'.

Early in my career I quit my job and became a stockbroker. After about 10 years when I was just starting to turn out some positive profit, my investing money was wiped out by the stockmarket crash of 2008. I may have lost $30,000, or more perhaps, even double, I am not sure as I may have not really checked, I beleive I sort of forgot the situation and thought to move on.

Additionally, my mother passed away of cancer in 2008.

Any other events, well, perhaps that I had a car accident when I was younger and my car which was quite expensive was about totaled, I thought to forget that event too and move on.

I still am cautious now of cars, it perhaps taught me I not drive when is not safe.

Now I mainly stay at home, I live from my savings, I turned to other kinds of investments like real estate and I may tend to prefer to use subway, walk, or ride my bike than car to supermarket, etc and I like to play guitar, do yoga, go to gym and other activities. Perhaps I am contemplating I become a musician/ guitar player, or yoga instructor, or fitness trainer in the near future but until now it seems taking some time & money for fruition.

These are some of my thoughts about this topic. Well, we should always try to be positive in life and I will consider your recommendations as well.

Thanks very much.

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Well it seems like 2008 was a very distressing year for you since you had to endure both a financial crunch as well as tragedy at home both of which must have summed up to cause you a great deal of stress and emotional turmoil. So as i pointed out earlier in my previous post that your present day anxiety stems from something traumatic in life which took place years back seems to be validated.

Also may i address here that you have developed Post traumatic stress disorder ( PTSD) after your car accident which till date haunts you and makes you avoid driving cars or taking the route which apparently seems a bit risky.

So i will like you to consider my suggestions as they will definitely help.

In addition to my previous suggestion to you to seek drugs like lexapro and klonopin, i also suggest you to seek CBT that is Cognitive Behavior Therapy from a clinical psychologist provided you have recovered considerably with the help of drugs mentioned here. You see CBT shall help you to learn some coping skills to endure stressful situations plus to overcome PTSD which dates back to the time of your car accident. Overall CBT shall help you to become more emotionally stronger.

So as of now the two drugs mentioned above shall help you to overcome your fear and anxiety and once that has been achieved you shall consider CBT.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you doctor.

I appreciate very much what you mentioned.

I am grateful - thank God - I was ok after the car accident, but it occurs to me, if it is really sometimes events in life become wake-up calls to avoiding certain situations. I beleive it may have been perhaps even light drinking (alcohol) in causing the accident in my younger years, though I never was fan of alcohol anyway and only used slight in social situations but still perhaps taught me again to avoid drinking entirely in an outing and perhaps in life in general as well as, that cars may indeed have some risk, not generally that people may develop some disorder after perhaps such an event. This is my opinion again.

Perhaps it is better someone learn not by trial and error as in case perhaps of certain events - traumatic, or not - happening but by knowledge, maturity and avoidance of any dangerous situations/ conditions in the first place.

I' m not 100% in favor of drug treatments but I will consider your recommendation, as well as I may research myself further into psychology theory and practice.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely.

I agree to what you have said above and i value your opinion, however i will encourage use of drugs mentioned above and you may even search the internet for psychology theories.

I wish you all the best.

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello doctor,

I have some other/ different symptoms now and I would like to discuss them with you. I am willing to pay another $30 for this consultation so that I may have some understanding of what may be happening.

New symptoms I have are, I hear voices in my head saying 'I have to work' or something similar... does this make any sense to you, please?

Is my mind perhaps compromized in some way and behaves like this, i.e. could it be perhaps the mercury, or stress, or hypochondriasis, or a virus? I dont understand.

What is 'work' having to do with my situation and why I hear such phenomemon in my head? Have you perhaps had any such case study, or can explain this? I do hope is not something bad, or serious (God forbid).

Is it because I have been off work since 2008 after I lost my money on the stock market? Is it perhaps some kind of guilt that is surfacing, or acting up? This is what I may have read in a psychology book.

If the mind perhaps remains idle for some time, is it possible it may start to play tricks on the person, I am not sure if such case may be true or fiction.

My situation is that I do perhaps live alone, I may be what is termed lonesome guy to an extent perhaps, i.e. perhaps not so many friends and I may not go out much to clubs, or coffee shops.

But I do keep occupied i.e. I switched investments to real estate as well as I have my interests of Guitar, Yoga and Fitness Training, and I am contemplating for quite a while I may promote them to make some living from them, but I need to get some more cash first.

Additionally, I gained new interest lately for financial investing again since the economic crash seems it is over (I know since I am financial analyst) and other occupations like software programming that I like to do as I used to do that in the past.

But mainly I try to pass peaceful vacation time since 2008 and I moved in the countryside away from the city, noise, pollution, etc and I dont seem to like to get back to city living, or corporate environment, or anything like that.

And it keeps being strange to me, why would anyone be perhaps apologetic for such things, especially to my own self, hearing voices of what seems to be some form of guilt for not work? This may seem really ridiculus since noone gives account to anyone about such things. We are free human beings.

I also do have an income from my continuing investments and the various things I do, so I am quite happy in this respect and I may not be a big spender anyway.

Therefore I dont understand, perhaps you can help me figure out what is happening?

I paid close attention to my diet as well, I made changes towards healthy food since I am familiar with both Yogic diet as well as I study Nutrition for my Fitness Trainer diploma and I am putting on investigation my Yoga schedule, i.e. reducing it and eliminating any advanced postures like Headstand, or Shoulderstand etc, so as not to overstimulate the brain perhaps with oxygenation too much but I keep the routine of yoga stretches and flexibility postures.

Also, any increased stress I may have perhaps I notice this too, but the stress I have seems to be these voices I mentioned earlier I may hear in my head talking about 'having to work' etc.

That is all doctor. Hopefully you can shed some light in this situation and I always do hope is nothing serious, i.e. I like to be positive always.

Sincerely.

Greetings !

I will like to know more about the voices that you have been hearing ?

1) Since when are you hearing these voices ?

2) Are these voices of threatening nature or do these voices comment on your failures of past and present ?

3) Do you recognize whose voices these are of ? How many different voices are there ?

4) Have you become overactive, overly energetic, have lost sleep, doing excessive amount of work in different fields and leaving all of them incomplete, do you have too many thoughts coming to your mind at a very fast rate making you unable to think clearly ?

5) Are these voices regular or restricted ti stressful situations ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello doctor,

Sorry for the delay, I thought about this situation the last few days and probably I came to the conclusion that these thoughts may be part of the hypochondriasis.

The phenomenon seems as follows: Something in my psychology may be finding weaknesses in my personality and may be amplifying these to create the hypochondric stress to me. It seems perhaps happened the same thing with mercury a few months ago, now we resolved that and it changed to these new perhaps feelings of guilt that I was off work for last 5 years.

The hypochondric state may have been with me for quite a while, I beleive it' s been one year since my pathologist mentioned that I may be merely a hypochondriac and that there is nothing wrong with me.

So, i forgot the issue for the last 1 year.

But I may have stress sometimes as I went from doctor to doctor to see what is wrong with me and the blood tests/ physical exams show nothing (thank God) so I stopped this part of worrying.

This hypochondriasis, seems may be dynamic because it is perhaps changing, or trying to find some weaknesses to my personality and then perhaps try to create the stress on that.

The voices I heard recently, I beleive they said "Why don' t you work?" trying for example to cause me to get some kind of job perhaps, or causing me to find reasons, or answers to this question. Well, I have answers but I dont know to what extent someone may resolve such questions in the mind.

If you ask me furthermore, I beleive it may be some form of complex, i.e. that' s why they call it complex i.e. two sides of a difficult question not being able to be resolved?

To calm the situation down, I am thinking of may be returning to certain occupation to see if I can silence it perhaps and get it back to normal until I know more of what I may be dealing with.

I dont think I may recognise the voice and it is one voice, sometimes I may hear some screams in the background but rarely.

Up to now I may have recognised these symptoms as stress and I used to have some stress in the past perhaps like insomnia, panic attacks, some tremors sometimes which were being resolved by diet and relaxation.

Well, that is all I can say. The truth may be that I may not be leading life to the fullest because of this stress which I am trying to manage. Lately, this situation with the voices is starting to interfere perhaps with my fitness training work and I havent been to the gym for quite the last couple months staying home to relax which I beleive may be better for the time being. But I would like to get back returning to my gym & fitness training routine.

So stress management has been of interest to me perhaps for quite a couple years.

I will stop here and I may add more thoughts as I may have more info.

Thank you.

P.S. I dont think I may have many thoughts which may cause me to be unable to think. I just feel sometimes that there may be another 'entity' or something interfering in my mental field perhaps, which I would like if I could get rid of it perhaps, or it stops.

Thank you again.

Thanks for the inputs.

Please answer one last question -- these voices that you hear, do they interfere with your important work by being intrusive and wanting you to concentrate only on it's demand of finding a job? In other words, have these voices been there almost all the time throughout the day thereby interfering with your routine schedule or are these voices present only at the time of overwhelming stress or when you are involved in deep self introspection.

I will wait for you answer and then i shall get back to you.

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think the voice may become apparent when I may have stress. It is at some point during the day perhaps, or after a couple days. It does not seem continuous, or persistent, unless perhaps I may not listen to it? I dont know, I do hope it is kept in check.

It does not seem to interfere with whatever I do, but I am thinking perhaps I incorporate some form of work in my schedule so it may get relaxed perhaps until perhaps I learn more about this situation? I dont know, because this phenomenon is new to me as well. Most probably is asking me perhaps I get some kind of job that pays money for example, or something that I may be supposedly of service to the world...?

Anyhow, I just sure hope it does not get worse, or develop (God forbid) to something worse.

I do also stress management to help along, so I may clear it perhaps, rather than supress it and I am not generally happy listening to whoever, or whatever telling me what to do so I am curious to know what is happening and how it may be cleared.

What is related perhaps to this is that I beleive a few months ago, I had an occasion when a girl friend of mine and somewhat close to me, approached me and asked me a question whether people have to work. I unconciously replied to her that of course not and that they are not slaves and I advised her if she has stress perhaps to try to relax/ not worry, be happy, do some yoga, eat well and go to Church every Sunday.

That is all. I dont seem perhaps to understand the whole situation, as it may be baffling, so perhaps you can shed some light.

Thank you.

Thanks for the inputs.

Well i feel that the voice which is asking you to do some work is nothing but your own self who is trying to do some introspection into your life choices that you have made especially those related to job, so it seems like that you are having two opposing thoughts on this agenda of doing a job or not and these thoughts are being heard from within through these voices.

I hope this makes sense to you because this concept is a bit difficult to understand, so to put it simply i will say that the voice that you hear occasionally especially under stress is a part of you that is voicing it's opinion about your life choices about finding a job which you have for sometime tried to avoid.

So i believe that this is an introspective phase that you are going through as you need to make some decisions about your priorities and future of life and once a solid decision is taken on this dilemma then perhaps these voices will automatically stop.

I will again support the use of two drugs that have been mentioned before as they will help you to lower your anxiety and bring in clear and objective thinking which in turn will help you in your decisions about your future.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello doctor,

I will add an additional amount to the payment over and above $30 since this question has probably taXXXXX XXXXXer than normal on JustAnswer to answer.

I beleive you may be right in this, that the voice I hear may be two opposing thoughts, which I may qualify as stress. Being perhaps myself a moral person I may scrutinize all my decisions in such a way, i.e. if they will provide some good, or do harm. So it may stem from a subconcious, or moral issue perhaps, i.e. either personal, or societal. Does this identify it as a complex perhaps?

And what are my chances perhaps of resolving such a complex? Should I perhaps listen to it, i.e. go along, or may I have option also to oppose it? Or is there in this process any risk it may become more prominent perhaps? What would you recommend?

In view of such complex, may it be personal, societal, etc, it gives me some reason to question whether people have free will perhaps for example? Or again this may be different from one individual to another.

Also, some of my previous symptoms still seem to show up perhaps from time to time, one of them is I may seem to fear going near walls as if I may hit my head on them and the other symptom is I may avoid handling kitchen knives, again, for some reason that I may hurt myself with them. I seem to continue have these 'sensitivities' perhaps, which I am beginning to probably identify again as some form of stress build-up perhaps.

My question is now, may this stress, or the voice above be detrimental perhaps to my health in any way? For example, if the stress may happen to not be managed, cleared, or controlled, could it perhaps overflow and cause me physical damage?

I will have in mind perhaps also the medication you have prescribed.

If you can answer these questions of mine, as I mentioned above I will add additional payment, or tip.

Thank you.

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Well it seems like you may perhaps be harboring an unresolved emotional complex / issue which dates back to your childhood or early life and that complex has always been there in your subconscious mind, often traversing it's way to the conscious awareness at times of stress and causing disruption in your life.

So here stress or stressful life situations act as trigger for an underlying emotional issue or complex to resurface and cause you decompensation or functional impairment by taking away your clear and objective thinking as is evident from the voices that you hear rendering you more bewildered than clear in your mind. This can explain why you had to move away from a stressful hectic life schedule to place where there is less stress and fewer pressures.

This complex could have resulted as a result of personal as well as environmental/ societal stressors, this can only be uncovered through proper one on one live session with a therapist.

Yes i believe this complex of yours can be resolved if you seek CBT, that is Cognitive Behavior Therapy from a clinical psychologist or psychotherapist who shall help you to trace back those elements of your past life which could have contributed to your complex and affected your life this way.

Other than this, use of the mentioned drugs will definitely help your cause and help you to relax and restore much more clear thought process that will enable you to deal with your stressors better.

The stress if continued without being managed properly has the potential to first affect your mental health and then your physical health as these two are inter-related.

I hope this helps you to find answers to your questions.

Wish you all the best.

Regards
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you doctor.

If I have any more questions I may come to ask once again.

In the meantime, I found out I may have been taking some mercury mobilizers the last couple months which may have caused a too high rate of mercury detox effect to my system. Provided that I may had the amalgam dental fillings for over 30 years and that some mercury may have accumulated in my body because of them, at least after removal of the fillings recently there should be gradual clearing of the mercury rather than accelerating the process, because I found out that it may be detrimental to hasten the clearing process because mercury stored in the tissues may come out and accumulate in the blood, thus if not cleared readily from the blood then it may do damage to the body.

I will more closely look at this above possibility as well and I already reduced the mercury clearing products I use, i.e. chlorella etc, to a safer level.

I will also have in mind your recommendations you gave. Thanks again.

If you need future assistance from me then you are most welcome, you shall just mention For 'Dr. Kaushik' in the start of your question, this will ensure that the question will be directed to me.

Take care.

Wish you all the best.

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi doctor, sorry to bother you. I gave some more reflection on this case and I wanted to ask some more information from you. I will rate your answer once again for $30.

The main symptom I may have now is that when I go near a wall, I may see visions of bumping my head on it. I probably identified some underlying stress that I may have and when this stress increases then I may get such vision as above.

So, I try to manage stress in general by various methods, i.e. relaxation, yoga, good food and I recently started going to church also because a neurologist that I asked, mentioned specifically not to neglect spiritual aspect as well.

I will also do some more physical tests, i.e. perhaps for virus, or toxic overload, or dental problems.

Anyhow, whatever it is, or causing it, I would prefer it is stopped, i.e. so it may not affect my life, or be preoccupied with it perhaps and also I look for explanation. Based on the above, therefore, I would like if you can give me again a diagnosis.

I already incorporated some form of work in my schedule, so perhaps it will quiet down this way?

In regard to the PTSD you mentioned, the car accident I had was about 20 years ago and I believe I hit my head, or caused perhaps cuncation at the time, and I did not have any neurological symptoms after that (thank God for this). I did own various cars since then and I also had a ticket speeding at about 100mph which landed me in court and I paid fines, etc., but anyway, I may be a bit weary of cars nowadays, simply just because perhaps God made people to walk, rather than drive afterall.

Anyhow, also I am checking at my past as you mentioned, could it be perhaps some past transgression that shows this way?

When I was teenager I wanted to be a priest and I was actually ordained once, then I changed my mind and canceled my plans of being clergy. I do beleive perhaps not anything wrong with this.

Also, I' ll check for military service etc, because I am dual citizen, Eruopean and American, I lived in two countries and was exempted from one and also did not do any service as an American since it is not compulsory.

Anyhow, also in regard to my mother pass away in 2008, again, I beleive I got over it.

That is all. I may also go see a local doctor as well, so I am fully informed what this situation, or case may be.

Thanks again very much.

Greetings !

Well it seems like you may be suffering from what is called as Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) which is characterized by presence of stress and anxiety almost all the time with fear of loosing control over self or something dangerous happening to the person just like that. The visions that you have where you go near a wall and without any reason get your head bumped into the wall, this is one such example of GAD.

Also it is important to note that this GAD may be after all an extension of your age old PTSD which still seems to be looming large beneath your calm exterior.

Now that you have been doing all the right things such as lifestyle changes and seeing a neurologist and a doctor, why do not you discuss the two medications that i have mentioned to you before such as lexapro and klonopin as both of them can bring closure to your PTSD and GAD. Plus you may also discuss this diagnosis with your doctor and seek it's validation from him through a live session with the expert.

Also i will endorse the idea of seeking CBT , that is Cognitive Behavior Therapy for getting over PTSD AND GAD in addition to the above drugs, as this is a specialized therapy which works by altering one's thought process plus it teaches the person some core mental strengthening exercises and coping mechanisms which one can practice on a regular basis to ward off stress and endure past emotional traumatic life experiences without getting burdened and compromised by such issues.

So kindly discuss the diagnosis of GAD with your doctors and also the drugs and CBT , hopefully they will see reason in my suggestion and help you to take a decision in seeking them.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks doctor. Sorry for the late reply, I incorporated some form of work in my schedule so I may keep busy, so this way perhaps I don' t have the mind idle; perhaps as they say 'Idle mind, the devil' s playground'.

I noticed 3 more symptoms the other day, 1 being some loss of sleep, i.e. insomnia perhaps, 2 some headache during the night and what seemed to be pressure in the forehead region perhaps, and 3 is bruxism, or TMJ, which is clenching of the teeth perhaps while sleeping. For the last symptom, I already went to a dentist and did a dental plastic cover to put on teeth so I dont grind them during the night.

Thanks again very much. I' ll decide to talk to a doctor in my area and I take your information with me when I go.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if the last 3 symptoms i described may have any significance as well.

Thanks.

The first two symptoms of insomnia and pressure in the head seem to be non-specific symptoms as of now since they can be attributed to stress and anxiety which we know that you have plus these two symptoms need to be present continuously to become a separate cause of concern for us. Most of the times these symptoms subside with the control of underlying anxiety.

The third symptom that you mentioned is a type of sleep disorder called as Night time teeth grinding which is very common a scenario but often goes unnoticed and is only brought into consideration when the noise made by the teeth grinding disrupts the sleep of those who sleep with the person who is grinding teeth. This condition is not that serious and can be managed effectively by using a dental plate or plastic cover at night so that the teeth do not get distorted due to grinding at night and this you already have sought from your dentist, so no worries here too.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Perhaps as a psychiatrist/ psychologist do you know why bruxism, or TMJ is caused? I beleive is from the stress/ anxiety perhaps. My dentist also is interested to know as he said he may have cases often of this condition, who may require the plastic dental cap.

Thanks again.

Sincerely.

Yes, stress and anxiety have been associated with Bruxism aka Teeth Grinding however many people including dentists sometimes tend to bypass to consider the need to seek opinion from a psychiatrist on this condition which is most often associated with anxiety/ stress and it many times responds to anti depressant/ anti anxiety agents such as Clonazepam at dose of 1 mg at bedtime or Amitriptyline at dose of 25 mg at bedtime. In your case where you have a background of PTSD and GAD, occurrence of bruxism can be related to these two underlying stressful and anxiety provoking conditions.

So kindly discuss this with your dentist and seek any one of the above mentioned drugs from your doctor to fight out this condition.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards.