Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Hello, I believe that Im suffering from anxiety due to

I believe that I'm suffering from anxiety due to the demands of my job. I travel quite a bit and have a tuff time managing the anxiety as a results of traveling. This creates quite a bit of stress in my life.. I know that there are longterm steps to take to reduce my anxiety. Are there any short term medications that you can recommend?

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this anxiety due to your job, I can imagine how much this distresses you

Dr. Z :

May I ask, you said you were prescribed Strattera, do yo have a diagnosis of ADHD? Because Strattera is typically prescribed for treatment of ADHD

Customer:

My doctor has recommended it as I had spoken to here about the same issue. She

Customer:

She had informed me about its uses for ADHD. Which I was not diagnosed for or believe that I have it. She told me it could help me focus more, possibly deterring any anxiety. I had only taken it for about two months. It has been over a year since I've taken it

Dr. Z :

Yeah usually Strattera will increase stimulation and thus increase anxiety, so that is why it is not used for anxiety. But Strattera is great for ADHD and depression

Dr. Z :

For the best medications to treat anxiety would be the use of an SSRI antidepressant called Lexapro at 10-20mg. It is usually more effective and faster acting than other SSRI antidepressants. Also the use of a benzodiazepine (e.g Ativan, Xanax, and Klonopin), where the anti-anxiety effects occur within an hour or two after use.

Dr. Z :

The issue with the benzodiazepines are that they can be very physically addicting, so it is good to use as needed in conjunction with the Lexapro

Dr. Z :

Now I would also not want you to rely on these medications for the rest of your life, would you also like to learn about therapeutic techniques for anxiety as well or would you like to just focus on the medication regimen

Customer:

That makes sense. I agree withrhe

Customer:

with the use of both techniques.. Although I'm not sure I'd like to begin the use of an SSRI

Customer:

I'm taking the steps to focus on the therapeutic techniques with Yoga and managing my companies expectations on work.

Customer:

I understand the concerns with benzodiazepines, but I'm willing to give them a try as there shouldn't be a discontinuation period like an SSRI.?

Dr. Z :

No there are severe withdrawal symptoms associated with the benzodiazepine medication if you take it regularly for a significant period of time and then abruptly stop the medication use. You have to carefully wean yourself off a benzodiazepine to avoid or minimize these withdrawal symptoms.

Dr. Z :

In my experience the withdrawal (discontinuation symptoms) are usually worse for benzodiazepines then the SSRI medication if not gradually weaned off slowly.

Dr. Z :

If you take the benzodiazepine at a low dose and only as needed, then most likely you will not get any withdrawal symptoms or very minimal ones

Customer:

Good to know. I'd like to go forward with a benzodiazepine in low dose as needed.

Dr. Z :

Okay, well the three that I recommended are all fast acting and usually work within an hour or two, bu the Klonopin lasts in your system significantly longer typically

Dr. Z :

Also this link contains the Ashton Manual that explains the use of Benzodiazepines really well and also has a schedule for withdrawal when you decide to discontinue it

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I be able to get a benzodiazepine like Klonopin? Just get make an appt with my doctor in a few weeks?

Dr. Z :

You can go to your general practitioner or a psychiatrist for the the benzodiazepine, like Klonopin, as both can prescribe them regularly to you. So just make an appointment with either one and mention the different benzodiazepines I described that you would want for you anxiety.