Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Hello I have irritable sleep , at night I awake 2 times sweating

HelloI have irritable sleep , at night I awake 2 times sweating , I'm taking medazolam now to get into sleep but its short duration of action not suite me , before I was taking lexotanil , I'm worried regarding addiction , and any solution for my irritable sleep and anxiety . My mood is also depressed most of time and feel exhausted and drained .....thank you
Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your problem.

You see both the drugs that you have tried so far are benzodiazepines which can only act for short duration and can be best regarded as quick fix solution to your underlying insomnia and anxiety but they may not help for a long sustained period due to their short plasma half lives.

So i am mentioning below a few drugs as options which will not only manage your insomnia and anxiety but also your depressed mood shall be taken care of.

-- Trazodone at dose of 50 mg at bedtime only once a day.

-- Cymbalta (Duloxetine)at dose of 20 mg to start with and then raising the dose to 40 mg after 1 week and then increasing the dose to 60 mg after 1 week of being on 40 mg and maintain on this dose of 60 mg / day. This drug is to be taken at night only after dinner.

-- Remeron ( mirtazapine ) at dose of 15 mg at bedtime which can be raised to 30 mg after 2 weeks if the need arises.

All of the above are anti depressants primarily which have additional strong anti anxiety and sleep aiding action and therefore each of them fits your requirements, however i must tell you that trazodone will most suit for your insomnia but it is relatively weaker in treating depression and anxiety while the other two have better anti depressant and anti anxiety action but slightly weaker sleep aiding action as compared to trazodone. However each of the 3 options are capable to manage your symptoms and they will prove to be much better as compared to the previously bused two drugs.

Kindly discuss this with your doctor and decide on which one of these three you can try.

I hope this helps.

You shall start reaping benefits within 1-2 weeks with resolution of sleep being the first symptom to go away followed by anxiety and then depressed mood.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.

If there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For how long I have to continue on these medicine

First let me clear this you need to take only one of the above 3 mentioned drugs.

For complete recovery from all the underlying conditions you got to take the chosen drug for at least 4-6 months although the results in your conditions shall begin within 1-2 weeks from the start of the chosen drug. But for prevention of relapse 4-6 months of the drug is essential.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

If my answer has been helpful to you then kindly please leave a Positive rating.

You may contact me again if you want to discuss future course of action if you encounter any problem with this drug regime.