Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

If one is entering psychosis, does one realize it?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

To answer your question, actually many individuals once in a psychotic state or entering a psychotic state have a lack of insight, technically called Anosognosia, where the individual does not understand that their behavior, symptoms, and signs are related to psychosis.

Dr. Z :

This is where the individual is person who suffers from a certain impairment, usually psychosis, seems to be unaware of the existence of his or her impairment

Dr. Z :

Here is a good article on lack of insight in frequently seen in a psychotic disorder called schizophrenia for you

Customer:

I have harm ocd and have had it most my life and dealt with it well on my own until recently

Customer:

I broke up with my g/f because I couldn't handle being around her with intrusive thoughts towards her

Customer:

I am seeing a psych and a therapist, but whats bothering me right now is that the last three mornings I have found that my feelings towards my ex have changed

Customer:

in progression

Customer:

i still text and chat with her and hang with her sometimes, she still loves me, and it is difficult for me to sort my feelings out but I know at some level i love her...

Customer:

when i wake up in the morning I am best able to sense what im feeling and it ha been anxiety all along about her, but recently that has turned into a sort of claustrophobia, then the next morning I had feelings of aversion towards her...and that day following it seems, my bad feelings towards her have somehow coalesced with my intrusive thoughts towards her and it scared me

Customer:

the morning after that I had no anxiety at all about her or ill feelings

Customer:

but I am now having anxiety over the fact that somehow my feelings and these harm thoughts are in "agreement" and it really disturbs me and is causing me to feel like Im unsafe and I feel like the "reality" of both the ill feelings and bad thoughts is psychosing me to a point where I dont want to be. Am I making sense?

Customer:

I have NO intent behind these thoughts or feelings at all. Theres just this foreboding they create that really makes me question myself.

Dr. Z :

Well this is not psychosis, that much I can relieve you on. But you are right to be concerned about the Harm OCD as these intrusive thoughts and compulsions can become stronger and will be hard to control. I understand your issue, but because you have insight on this, that is one reason it is not a psychosis, but that still does not mean you are able to control it. If you feel like you cannot control it and that the thoughts are becoming into an agreement too much then you may want to consider taking yourself to a hospital to be checked it.

Customer:

Ok thank you Dr

Customer:

I have never acted out before

Dr. Z :

Well I would also like to know what medications or therapy are you using too?

Customer:

Im on 3 mg a day of Ativan and I have been given Abilify, but after one pill I didnt like the side effects.

Customer:

I am seeing the lead OCD doctor at McLEan Institute in Boston and she is using exposure therapy

Customer:

I am seeing a therapist as well

Dr. Z :

Well i definitely like the exposure therapy, but I think with the intrusive thoughts you will need to use more Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)

Customer:

I am alos seeing a functional therapy pysch who addresses the "gut" as a possible reason for OCD

Customer:

I just submitted my blood

Customer:

a day ago

Customer:

bad bacteria creating bad neurotoxins in gut uploading to brain

Customer:

causing ocd

Dr. Z :

That is possible, but that functional therapy is not my specialty. I definitely think you have a lot of resources which is good and they can all help you. Since these thoughts have been getting more and more intrusive and controlling for you, I think that you need a more CBT approach just for the thoughts. This can be used in combination with the exposure therapy

Customer:

http://www.ultramind.com/ one doctor who does functional therapy - gave a woman some medicine to get rid of bad bacteria in gut and ocd after 10 years GONE - I will ask my doctor about the CBT. Thanks Dr Z

Dr. Z :

Here is a good CBT book for you as well if you would like

Dr. Z :

Is there anything else I can do to assist you tonight?

Customer:

No thank you for being there and calming my nerves.

Customer:

:)

Dr. Z :

Anytime, i am always happy to help. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

Awesome, ill be back! Good night.

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.