Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Our son went without sleeping for several days drinking coffe

Our son went without sleeping for several days drinking coffe he does smoke weed he got very depressed and call us we dont live in same city. we went looking for him and couldnt find him, his friends were the ones to let us know he had not sleept in days, we found him after a day and half, he was paranoic and in bad shape he kept on walking trying to get to us. the police officer that found him told us he was under a narcotic influence and was not coherent. we brought him home, he is better now he has sleept we did a drug test and only TCH came out. in your opionion what happened

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that your son exhibited these symptoms, I can imagine how distressing this must be for you.

Dr. Z :

I would like to ask a few questions to get more information, so that I can give you the best answer possible.

Dr. Z :

For how long has your son been using marijuana?

Dr. Z :

Has your son ever exhibited this type of behavior before?

Dr. Z :

And approximately how much caffeine (cups of coffee) would you think that your son had during this period?

Customer:

We just find out about 2 months ago that he smoked cannabis.. no such behavior before...he has gone tru alot of stress. he is very smart we do not know how much coffee, but without smoking many days... more than 2 when we got him he said mom i know im sounding like a crazy person but i am not szquisofrinic mom i should of listen to you he said the weed might of been spiked? he procastinate alot and loosed jobs frequently, at 1st every thing is ok everybody loves him but then the starts being late...

Customer:

without sleeping many days

Customer:

when he called he said he was very sorry for being a bad son and not listening to us that we would seen very soon

Dr. Z :

Well it would be unlikely that the marijuana alone caused this behavior since he has been using it for 2 months, but it is possible that the marijuana was spiked with a substance that could have caused this adverse reaction. The other possibility is that the combination of stress and caffeine consumption could cause a psychosis that could have triggered these symptoms, it is commonly referred to as a nervous breakdown.

Dr. Z :

Here is a link explaining nervous breakdown in more detail for you

Dr. Z :

In addition, this also could be symptoms of Bipolar disorder. Your son may have been in a manic episode where staying up for days, bountiful energy, irritability, self-destructive behavior, paranoia, easily distracted, racing thoughts, talking fast, etc...are all symptoms of a manic episode. Here are a couple links explaining a manic episode and Bipolar disorder in more detail

Customer:

he left his vehicle abandoned and he threw away cell phone and keys he didnt want to be found! he said the radio was trying to control him and was afraid something was going to happened to us. after he has slept he is about 90 % back to normal, he said he did stuff he didnt want to do..he is not paranoic anymore...he reads alot !could he have ADD?

Dr. Z :

Most likely this is not a ADD/ADHD, because paranoia is frequently not a symptom of it and he would not spontaneously get better. Also this is not a chronic psychotic disorder (e.g schizophrenia) most likely because the symptoms went away without the use of antipsychotic medications. I am guessing either temporary psychosis due to stress and substance use or Bipolar disorder Manic Phase because the symptoms were temporary and spontaneously resolved on their own. With the temporary psychosis these symptoms will not reoccur again as long as he manages his stress and does not take an over abundance of those substances again. If it is Bipolar Disorder, the symptoms will come again as individuals with Bipolar Disorder cycle through periods of Mania and Depression. The treatment for Bipolar Disorder are typically mood stabilizers (e.g. Lithium and Depakote)

Dr. Z :

My advice would be to get an evaluation by a psychiatrist to determine the most appropriate course of action next. Most likely a wait and see approach may be established and if the symptoms return again without the use of substances or stress, then most likely it is Bipolar Disorder

Customer:

Excellent thank you.....