Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I need my xanax but have no refills and no insurance,so I cant

I need my xanax but have no refills and no insurance,so I can't afford to go to my doctor. How can I get my medication?

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I may be able to assist you today

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are having this difficulty getting your medication S

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX anything you can do to help me receive my medication?

Dr. Z :

Since you have a prescription already, I am wondering if you have tried these drug assistance programs that provide prescription medications at low cost or for free

Customer:

My bottle is out of refills...so how is that going to help?

Dr. Z :

Well because you already have a prescription from a medical doctor these programs help with individuals that do not have insurance and can provide you with the medication for free or at a very low cost of a few dollars a month at most.

Customer:

it's just a discount card ... maybe I am not understanding but I can't order the medication from these sites..so i'm not sure how a discount is going to help since I have no refills,and can't afford to go to my dr to get a refill.

Dr. Z :

No you are right it is similar to a discount card. But because you cannot afford the medications, these sites can provide you with a doctor in their network that can provide you with a prescription, typically they will ask you to go to a free clinic, but you can show them your previous prescription to get the ball moving on getting your "discount card" for these medications

Customer:

I don't need a discount card, I am an agent of incarerx so I have a discount card, I need a Dr. to provide me with my perscription asap.

Dr. Z :

This hotline can help you with finding a free mental health clinic in your area to get you a prescription ASAP

Dr. Z :

These clinics are designed to see you at very low cost or usually free for this exact situation

Customer:

Well, that would work but i've already asked my doctor about a free or discounted clinic we may have here, unfortunately i'd have to travel 2 hours for one since I live in a very small city.

Customer:

Not trying to be rude but i've been on this medication since I was 16 so I know the questions to ask and what not.

Dr. Z :

I am sorry that is very unfortunate. May I ask did you think that someone on this website would be allowed to write you a prescription for Xanax, so that you can get it filled?

Customer:

No, obviously that can't happen. That would be illegal I believe.

Customer:

unfortunately , ha.

Dr. Z :

You are right it is illegal, unfortunately. Other than a free clinic, there are not many options for you because you do not have insurance and I do not believe that you have the time to wait for applying for medicaid.

Dr. Z :

The healthcare system in this country is not good, and free healthcare clinics are dwindling, which is your safety net in this situation.

Customer:

That I do not. Well, I must figure something out. I do not need a trip to the ER for withdraws

Dr. Z :

Exactly, a trip to the ER for withdrawal would be very expensive. Some psychiatrists work on a sliding scale and may be able to provide you with a discount to account for your lack of insurance and low income.

Dr. Z :

If you tell me what city you live in, I can try to find psychiatrists in your area that work on a sliding scale.

Customer:

alright. Rock Hill

Dr. Z :

What state?

Customer:

SC

Dr. Z :

Well i actually found one psychiatrist in your area, you are right about it being a small town, but she says her average sessions are approximately 30-120 dollars, so she may be affordable to you

Customer:

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX how much she will charge hopefully less than 100 :/

Dr. Z :

I know this is not in your state, but Charlotte is not that far from you. I am sure they must have free clinics over there to help you

Customer:

I will check them out, traffic is terrible so that's the 2 hours I told you about :) use to live in Charlotte

Dr. Z :

Oh really, it says 30-40 minutes distance from you, but you are right that does not account for traffic. I was just thinking that is a bigger city and may have more options for you. I already looked at psychiatrists, but the best one I could find charges 250 dollars for an initial consult, so that is not an option

Customer:

whoa. yeah not at all, well i've sent the lady and email so hopefully she can assist me at a lower cost and will contact the hotline to see what they can figure out for me.

Dr. Z :

Okay, well I wish you the best of luck, but I do encourage you to apply for medicaid as soon as possible to help you in the future.

Dr. Z :

Here is the website on how to apply

Customer:

ok thank you very much.