Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

I suffer from chronic anxiety disorder..and have found relief

Customer Question

I suffer from chronic anxiety disorder..and have found relief in the past with klonipin..but my family doctors doesn't seem to like prescribing it for my disorder..how can I handle this problem of mine ..thanks Jeff
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am sorry that you are having this trouble with your doctor not wanting to prescribe you Klonopin. Many family doctors are shying away from prescribing benzodiazepines due to their addictive nature and difficulty to wean off of.

Dr. Z :

If you still want the medication, you can try to switch doctors or ask to be referred to a psychiatrist which is more qualified to help you with these issues and can manage you on Klonopin better than a family doctor.

Dr. Z :

Also you can try the use of an SSRI antidepressant named Lexapro at 10-20mg or Zoloft at 150-200mg, which are very effective in helping manage chronic anxiety disorders.

Dr. Z :

In addition, you can also ask your doctor if he/she would be willing to prescribe a medication called Gabapentin, that has an off label use for anxiety and is not addictive in nature like the benzodiazepines.

Dr. Z :

There is also a non-medical approach called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) that is very effective in managing anxiety. CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen

Dr. Z :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

Dr. Z :

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping lessen anticipatory anxiety and helping you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

Dr. Z :

Also individuals with severe chronic anxiety also have a poor coping mechanism, so this worksheet will help you develop a better coping strategy to manage your anxiety better.

Dr. Z :

These two books are also really effective in helping manage anxiety as well

Dr. Z :

This is a link for something called Progressive Muscle Relaxation that can help you create a long term calm by using muscle tension and release techniques; it can help manage your anxiety better and is very similar to a style of meditation.

Dr. Z :

I see that you are online right now, so I will stop typing and allow you to ask any questions or concerns that you may have.

Dr. Z :

I see that you are offline right now, but when you get back online I would be very interested in continuing this discussion with you and talking about anything further you would like to share regarding your concern, so if you respond in the chat box I will be able to get back to you as soon as possible.