Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

can I take ritalin for narcalepsy if I am bipolar

Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your problem.

Well you see ritalin is a psychostimulant drug which can precipitate manic episode in those with underlying Bipolar spectrum disorders and therefore this drug is not recommended for use in those who are bipolar disorder.

So the answer is No, you should not use ritalin for narcolepsy since it may precipitate mania so a better drug option for you will be either strattera ( generic name -- atomoxetine ) at dose of 20 mg twice a day to start with and then after 1 week titrating up the dose to 40 mg twice a day and maintaining on it. This shall help you with your narcolepsy.

Another safer alternative will be Modafinil/ Provigil at dose of 50 mg / day first week, to be taken in the morning and then 100 mg / day second week and maintaining on this dose.

So these two above mentioned drugs can be used for narcolepsy and are safer in comparison to ritalin or adderall without compromising your bipolar disorder.

Kindly discuss these options with your doctor and seek prescription of any one of these two drugs, better will be to try strattera since it is much safer than the rest.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards.