Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

We just found out that 11 yr old step son has only been taking

We just found out that 11 yr old step son has only been taking his 250 Milligram dose of Zoloft MAYBE every other day or goes DAYS without taking it for the last year. Should this not be taken every day? If he takes it for a few days and then stops for a few days is this harmful?

Dr. Mark :

Hi! I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

Dr. Mark :

It sounds as though your son is basically not taking it most of the time. Do you think he is taking it at all?

Customer:

When he is with us every other weekend he does for sure. We just pulled the pharmacy records and the ex is only filling it 39% of the time for the last year. Not sure what to do.

Dr. Mark :

So, it sounds as though you don't have a lot of control here. Question, then:

Dr. Mark :

Is there cooperation between you two and the ex good enough that the two of you will be able to take a untied approach to the problem?

Customer:

None at all. He also takes seroquel I guess for sleep and she has filled that 58% of the time. Im concerned about his health. He has been diagnosed with panic disorder.

Dr. Mark :

You are right to be concerned: an 11 year old taking both Zoloft and Seroquel!

Dr. Mark :

This is very powerful. Has there been any therapy discussed instead of such powerful medicating?

Dr. Mark :

Is he feeling overmedicated?

Customer:

She has not taken him to his Phychologist since May. His Phychiatrist is leaving the practice and she canceled his OCt. 7th Appointment but will honor scripts. Dad called office to join in on appointment and that is what he was told. I think he is overmedicated when he takes all 250 thats why he skips. BUT is is not healthy and mom dosent really care. They are currently going through post decree matters and I think she is keeping him sick. Its been a year since motions.

Dr. Mark :

This is really very sad. I can see that you are very caring and he's very fortunate you're there. It feels as though he's being treated as a bother by his mom and she's looking for easy answers, thus these very powerful meds. He needs a child psychololgist or psychotherapist who deals with divorce, anxiety disorders, etc. with children. Is there any way that you two can take over finding the therapist?

Customer:

Dad is also residential parent and he has contacted his phychologist and is waiting on a call back. But I guess I feel bad giving him meds knowing it does nothing (or something bad) if he is not taking them as prescibed I would feel aweful and responsible if soemthing happened to him. Thanks so much and I will make sure dad does everything he can.

Dr. Mark :

You're welcome. I want you and his dad to be very choosy about the psychologist/therapist for him. Please first interview the therapist and look at the office and see if it is kid friendly, a place where an 11 year old could enjoy an hour playing a game with the therapist. Also,

Dr. Mark :

Please remember, he's not taking the meds for a reason. They are more than likely making him feel overmedicated. My main concern with such powerful meds, though, is his developmental needs. I mean:

Dr. Mark :

he's growing tremendously right now. We don't really know long term effects of such a powerful meds regime in terms of all the hormonal growth he's going through and developmental growth. Therefore,

Dr. Mark :

therapy is vital for him. He's already cutting down on the medications himself. He's self directing his own medications when he can. So he's signaling he needs different help than he's getting. If possible, please read my answer with his dad so that he can get therapy help, because anxiety and panic are very treatable with kids via therapy.

Dr. Mark :

I hope this has been helpful and encouraging to you.

Customer:

Thanks again I wil print this if I can and share with him tonight. He has had a great phychologist and he REALLY likes her and dad had a two hour meeting with her in Feb. but we didnt know til recently mom stopped taking him. Hope she calls him today and dad can make an appointment and get this all out in the open once and for all. thanks your words they are exactly what I needed!

Dr. Mark :

I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX