Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

i have been on arapax for 5 yrs - happy with it - but need

Customer Question

i have been on arapax for 5 yrs - happy with it - but need strong weight management as i am also in menopause. I went into menopause drastically which caused a chemical imbalance in my system.
I am the breadwinner of a family of 4 and in a hectically pressurised IT JOB. Thinking clearly is an absolute MUST FOR ME.
My Dr. suggested ciprolex to prevent the potential weight gain caused by Aropax. What do you advise?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

Your doctor is correct that Cipralex is good SSRI antidepressant that does not cause weight gain like other antidepressants. In addition, Cipralex has higher efficacy rates when compared to the Aropax

Dr. Z :

Here is a link explaining why Cipralex does not cause weight gain like other antidepressants

Customer:

will the transition be difficult as my work load is heavy at the moment?

Dr. Z :

In addition, Bupropion also has been known to cause weight loss in some patients and is also an effective antidepressant.

Dr. Z :

No the transition between Aropax and Cipralex should not be that difficult because both are SSRI antidepressants.

Customer:

thank you so much for your advice thus far - please explain efficacy rates

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Well Cipralex has a higher bio-availability rate than the Aropax, which means that more is absorbed by the body. And this leads to a higher efficacy rate, which means that more people have success with the Cipralex then they do with Aropax in treating their depressive and anxiety symptoms.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i have

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i have changed from Arapax to Cipralex - experiencing vertigo and dizziness symptoms. Is this merely my body adjusting to the transition?

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Yes the Dizziness and Vertigo-like symptoms are usually common and typically temporary with Cipralex as your body gets used to the medication. Usually temporary side effects associated Cipralex go away on their own in 3-6 weeks. Here is a list of the common and rare side effects associated with Cipralex for you (It says Lexapro (Escitalopram), but that is one of the many trade names for this medication).

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-63990-Lexapro+Oral.aspx?drugid=63990&drugname=Lexapro+Oral&pagenumber=6

If it gets really bothersome, then I would suggest talking with your doctor about lowering the dosage and then gradually increasing it at a slower pace to allow your body more time to get used to the medication. If you have any questions or concerns at all, please feel free to contact me at anytime.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i am feeling much better today - dizziness not so bad anymore. Thank-you for answer - it has re-assured and encouraged me.

I enjoy a couple of glasses of low-alcohol white wine in the evenings - to relax - how does this affect the cipralex effects?

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.
Anytime, I am always happy to help. So the combination of Cipralex and alcohol can increase symptoms of dizziness, drowsiness, difficulty concentrating, and some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. So it is possible that the alcohol use may be causing your dizziness at times, so I would suggest try not to drink any alcohol for a couple weeks and see if your dizziness subsides. When your body gets used to the Cipralex, most likely it will not be as effected by the alcohol, but everyone is different and you can be more sensitive to the combination effects of alcohol and the Cipralex. I hope this information helps you, also here is a link explaining the interaction effect of alcohol and the Cipralex for you too.

http://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/escitalopram,lexapro.html
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr.

so the alcohol will not necessarily negate the efficacy of Cipralex?

Also, which generic of Cipralex do you recommend?

Thank-you once again for all your help.It is easier for me to speak to you than to my own Doctor!!!

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.
Oh no, the alcohol will definitely not negate the Cipralex at all, it will just cause those side effects which some people find bothersome. I am actually not from South Africa, so I could not tell you what the best generic brand of Cipralex is in that area, but usually a pharmacist can do that for you.