Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Ive had serious panic for 3+ weeks. My own shrink talked to

Customer Question

I've had serious panic for 3+ weeks. My own shrink talked to me once, evinced no interest in seeing me again until I asked for a panic specialist. I had told him that my panic is non stop: I wake up in panic, go to sleep in panic. Did get to store once, had a massive attack, tried to push through it and wound up on the floor, blacked out. I feel I need immediate treatment. I have no other names of Nashville psychiatrists: I think I need someone who can see me ASAP on Tuesday as I haven't slept in weeks, can't stop shaking, am helpless to stop the attacks and am completely alone. I need help in a hurry.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry that you are going through these severe symptoms associated with a panic attack, I can imagine how distressing this is for you.

Customer:

Thank you and yes, difficult is likely an understatement.

Dr. Z :

I would say that you do not need to go to a psychiatrist for this right away because most psychiatrists have a long waiting list and you need to someone right away, so I would suggest going to your primary care physician and asking for a prescription of either Paxil or Lexapro and a benzodiazepine (Ativan, Xanax, or Klonopin) to help with your symptoms right now. The benzoddiazepine can calm panic attacks within an hour or two of usage, so that is why they are effective.

Dr. Z :

Then when you calm down I would like to suggest seeing a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist (CBT) as these therapists are better suited to help treat your panic disorder. I can also show you some good techniques to help with a panic disorder and some books as well

Dr. Z :

The therapy techniques do take a few months to start being effective, but they last for a sustained period of time

Dr. Z :

And with the medication being more fast acting, this will be a two pronged approach to help you

Customer:

I'm currently on Viibrid. My shrink (who I've seen for 11 years, but stopped about 7 months ago) wants me on Clonazapam. BTW I researched - learned about cognitive therapy, and I've NOT received this from him. I asked him who to see to be treated: he claims he does cognitive therapy, but he's been treating me for low level panic for a long time (I don't leave house) and it hasnt worked. I do feel i need a new shrink- but do not know how to locate an effective one in Nashville. I can't take Paxil/Lexapro: severe colitis, most anti-depressents make my gut miserable! Viibrid works very well for me, the panic notwithstanding.

Customer:

I did call my GP, but made the appt for Wed this week.

Customer:

oh SHIT it was for today! I missed it.

Customer:

this panic: I can't think, literally. Unbelievable.

Customer:

Maybe if I call in the AM and explain that my brain is not functioning but I desperately need help?

Dr. Z :

Viibryd is good, I was just mentioned that the SSRI antidepressants have more efficacy for Panic attacks. The Clonazapam is Klonopin and will help with your panic attacks a lot, and it will work very fast and stay in your system for a good amount of time. I can help you find a new psychiatrist in your area, but like I said it may be a long wait.

Dr. Z :

Yeah I think you can call and ask to be seen as soon as possible and explain your systems and your mistake, hopefully they will be sympathetic

Customer:

I had forgotten the 'long wait' part of it. If Klonopin would work, I could live for a month or 2 I suppose... I'd prefer to get started sooner, get RID of this hell sooner. Get my life back

Dr. Z :

Yeah the Klonopin is a very effective anti-anxiety medication and is very successful in helping to treat panic attacks like you have described

Customer:

People have been unbelievably wonderful - I've been through severe mental abuse for 7 years, it turned physical 4 months ago. I'm a well-known writer: my clients have been great about me dropping off the grid for 6 weeks

Customer:

I don't like clonazapam: makes me sleepy. How does one function like that? He's had me on .5 ,g which i cut in half - still tired

Customer:

and i need to know if i have to take the crap all the time or just when needed.

Customer:

i went looking for alternative medecine last night (desperate.) I did find a few herbal things - vitamins, amino acids etc

Customer:

Christ I'll try anything. I'm afraid I'll have an attack whilst driving.

Customer:

ergo if I can order something, it arrives, i take it and it works, i'll be able to drive to doc.

Dr. Z :

That is great that your Clients are very considerate. Usually you can take it as needed and if it makes you tired (that is a side effect, but usually goes away once you get used to the medicine) you can take it as needed and it should have a long enough half life at a full dose to last you through out the day.

Customer:

ah. One does get used to it?

Dr. Z :

Herbal medicines for anxiety are Valerian Root, Glutamate, and Omega-3

Customer:

oh a full dose would last all day? That, I hadn't thought of

Customer:

GREAT!!!!!!!! How well do they work for most folks? God that's great

Dr. Z :

If you take a full dose, Klonopin has a half-life of 18-50 hours, so it should last you the entire day

Dr. Z :

They work really well for most people, that is probably why your psychiatrist recommended it

Customer:

lord it sounds like it. In the meantime I'll order the Valerian Root, Glutamate, and Omega-3 if I can find something that contains them.

Customer:

no, I own a very large community - THEY suggested it!

Dr. Z :

Omega-3 is fish oil and the other 2 supplements you should find readily in the store.

Customer:

FISH oil? Lord, do you taste it? I've heard of supplements (garlic) that you actually taste.

Customer:

Hey! Would caviar work?? hehehe

Dr. Z :

Fish oil is just a pill, you should not really taste it. Also sushi helps if you would rather eat that or actual fish

Customer:

If you have the names of good Nashville therapists, I'm all ears. I seriously feel that mine - wasn't interested in treating me until I asked for names of someone else. I'm bewildered by that, but I don't think it's right of him.

Customer:

Not into sushi, much.,

Dr. Z :

Would you like a therapist or psyhchiatrist?

Customer:

I'll try to find a supplement that contains those 3

Customer:

Psychiatrist. I trust them more - rightly or wrongly.

Dr. Z :

Okay give me a minute to compile a list for you

Customer:

preferably someone who specializes in panic disorder - my shrink says PTSD

Customer:

which i thought was for Nam vets.

Dr. Z :

What is your previous psychiatrist's name, so I do not put him in the list

Customer:

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

he is very, very good. Up until Thurs of last week, my panic was the worst

Customer:

100 percent all day, all night including sleep

Customer:

he said or had me say something during our session - I woke up next day as i am now

Customer:

ok except for 4-6 attacks per day. At least I get some surcease. Yes, he's good.

Dr. Z :

Okay here are 4 good psychiatrists in your area that are good with anxiety and PTSD/trauma

Customer:

He zapped me out of the nonstop attack anyway. A BLESSING - but still, 4/5 of the day is shot

Dr. Z :

Also all of these therapists provide CBT therapy too

Dr. Z :

In addition, I think these books can be beneficial as well, but like I said they do not work as fast as the medicines, so you use both at the same time and when the techniques start to really grab hold, then you can wean off of the medication

Dr. Z :

Are you still there?

Customer:

good lord i'm sorry

Customer:

i lost you

Customer:

I've been trying to find you!

Customer:

not good, being that i'm an internet geek. at least i looked at your list. My current shrink is indeed on it - which means it must be good.

Dr. Z :

All of these psychiatrists on the list do provide treatment of anxiety and panic disorders like you wanted, so I think they should be good for you

Dr. Z :

Its okay about losing me, it happens sometimes :)

Customer:

books are a an idea I hadn't considered. I do feel I need immediate something or other: my brain is shot, I can't stop shaking. Literally shaking

Customer:

i bet! it goes full screen w/no warning.

Customer:

you see no other tabs.

Dr. Z :

The medication, like Klonopin, will help right away and the therapy techniques will take a few months to really be effective. So the medication will at least be able to hold you over until then

Customer:

I can't believe I damn well actually fainted the other day: knew this panic was bad, but THAT is dangerous shit

Dr. Z :

I am sorry, yes panic attacks can call fainting

Customer:

Good idea, if my damn GP will a) see me b) prescribe the klonopin

Customer:

c) if my stupid ole ass can make it there. I think I should take a cab.

Dr. Z :

Most GP's can prescribe Klonopin so that should not be a problem, taking a cab is a good idea

Customer:

driving might be truly dangerous in this shape.

Dr. Z :

I agree, thats why the cab is a good idea

Customer:

I can't believe I lucked onto this site - and onto you, now. It's amazing. I am going to start a site for abused folks in need - BitchesGotHitches. com - will likely add a link to this site to it, for immediate help.

Dr. Z :

Haha, thats sounds funny. I am just happy that I was able to help you tonight

Customer:

BUT I worry that such folks may not have resources money-wise to pay even the tiny fees here.

Customer:

You've been a good help.

Customer:

hey i stopped shaking. that's something.

Dr. Z :

That is a good, I think the medication will help a lot for you and then the therapy will really start to be effective

Customer:

is it normal - the way I can't even damn THINK. I miss appts - it's surreal. Is that part of this panic shit?

Dr. Z :

Yes panic disorder can cause you to lose your concentration, memory, focus, etc...

Customer:

AND the elevator business. Almost forgot. It feels as if my brain is on elevator going up and down - physically like a slow wave. Has anyone else experienced THAT?

Customer:

oh good.

Customer:

the elevator thing makes me think panic isn't all I have.

Customer:

maybe an inner ear thing at same time?

Dr. Z :

The elevator thing that you just mentioned is a part of blood flow and light headedness typically associated with panic, but you can request a brain scan if you are concerned.

Customer:

physically i feel great - excepting the normal fibro pains and back pain from bulging discs on nerves. Other than that i feel fine.

Customer:

hmmmm not inner ear then?

Customer:

head isn't swirling like it did when I had inner ear, that's for sure. It's more up and down.

Customer:

AND it started doing it again right now. Dammit.

Dr. Z :

If you think an inner ear infection or disorder, it could be. I think it is associated with panic, but your GP can do a quick check of yours ears to see if there is anything there.

Customer:

yep that's what i told nurse on phone.

Customer:

OK thank you much! I'm going to go over those lists.

Dr. Z :

Most likely this panic and the medications will help with that. Many individuals have unique symptoms associated with their panic disorder

Dr. Z :

Good, I am glad I was able to help you tonight :)

Dr. Z :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr. Z :

You are most welcome :)

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the positive review and very generous bonus, I truly appreciate it a lot. I want to wish you the best of luck with everything and if you need anything, please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.