Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Im suffering from inner pain that often grips my heart with

I'm suffering from inner pain that often grips my heart with a sudden urge to do
something hard (pinch someone or express a profanity).
an anger or a feeling of terrible shame.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help with this situation.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It seems that this pain may be from anxiety, and a form of panic attack, but it also seems that it is very much like Tourette's Syndrome. These two can be related.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Tourette's syndrome can be comorbid with anxiety, and panic attacks which include chest and heart pains, are a sign of extreme anxiety.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

When something triggers you. you may experience both the pain sensation and the pinching or terrible anger.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This could be a sign of guilt or shame.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

For more on Tourette's, look at this website:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourette_syndrome

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The actual movement or verbalization (common in Tourette's) can be a way of relieving painful memory triggers.

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

Sorry. that's not it. its inner (mental pain) only. i dont suffer from any type of anxiety (I've tested myself).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Can you explain inner (mental) pain?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Anxiety takes many forms.

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

its feelings only, no tics, movement or physical pain.

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

I've an easy going attitude in life. my stress is normal functioning, and well controlled. Im happy with many things in life physically and spritiually. its a strong feeling of shame that makes me angry on myself.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Pinching is movement and calling out profanities is sound. Both are characteristic of Tourette's disorder which you seem to be manifesting the symptoms;

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Why do you have this feeling of shame?

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

pinching was used as an example (punch, kick) and its only a want, I've never actually done it. profanities is more often expressed, but mainly in privacy.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

So you NEVER blurt out profanities?

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

i dont know why i havwe these feeling of shame/guilt etc. sometimes i remind myself from a faux pas, other time it launches just so.

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

I do blurt out but mostly under my breath or when I'm in private surroundings.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

These urges do sound to be characteristic of Tourette's.

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

I read up on it. and I dont feel it describing myself. any other suggestion?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is an impulse that you cannot control, I assume. Is that correct?

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

well, sometimes it feels so. but in realty I'm in full controll.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

In control of the pain?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I will opt out if you don't care to continue. I am sure that another expert will be delighted to work with you.

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

no. in control of the outbursts. yes the pain feelings are uncontrolled it emerges out of nowhere, or so it seems.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Sorry I did not see your answers. Just ANswer is not working well this evening.

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

OK. Thanks for help

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

So you make a decision to yell out a profanity?

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

yes. split second decision.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Why? And how is a split second decision different from an outburst that you can't control? Do you ever make a split second decision NOT to have the outburst?

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

yes. if I'm among people, especially in public places, I catch myself in-time.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What do you mean "catch-yourself"? Catch yourself from what?

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

before doing it. i stop myself and don't blurt. i don't lose my guard.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How is this different from a person who has the tendency to have compulsive outburst and can use conscious control to stop themselves?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have worked with clients who have Tourette's who can similarly stop their outburst all or most of the time. What is the diference? Please help me to understand.

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

dunno. depends on the reason beyond the compulsive outbursts. or maybe this is termed compulsive outbursts.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It seems that way.

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

compulsive outbursts?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would not know what to call it but a compulsion to have outburst but then the ability for self-restraint.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Behavior is on a continuum and is not either all or one.

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

is there a way to diagnose why this happens to me? and is there remediation?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The way to diagnose mental disorders is basically to talk to a mental health therapist and let her or him make an assessment, which is based on a strict diagnostic handbook.

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

is there remediation?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Diet change can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me quote an article that I wrote for a mental health column about diet for impulses disorders:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Diet and herbal remedies can play an important part in controlling and minimizing the symptoms. Certain stimulants can make the tics worse and should be avoided: included are sugar, caffeine, MSG, and artificial sweeteners. (Stimulant drugs such as meth and cocaine are even more harmful). Foods rich in niacin, such as wheat germ and avocadoes, are beneficial in reducing tics. Natural supplements such as tryptophan (a natural amino acid useful in aiding memory, mood, and sleep), flaxseed oil, evening-primrose oil, blue-green algae, and vitamin-B complexes all help in reducing tics; so are teas made from infusions of chamomile, passionflower, skullcap, lady’s slipper, and wood betony, according to many herbal practitioners, as are tinctures of St. John’s wort or valerian root. Eucalyptus tea and green tea are also recommended by some herbalists.

JACUSTOMER-pe9gg377- :

OK. Thanks for your help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You do not have strong symptoms it appears, and the medications used are way too strong.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

May God bless and heal you. Warm regards, XXXXX NCC, CCMHC