Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Well supposedly my mom has multi personality schizophrenia

Well supposedly my mom has multi personality schizophrenia but i cant tell but my dad said a long time ago before I was born they got divorced they went to marriage counseling and my dad found out after test that she has it. I have only seen it once when i left the house and she wrote me a long 13 page thing and it had sloppy to neat to mad to cursive type of writing in it. It kinda freaked me out cause my dad might be right. I know she might be bipolar but any way i really need to know if some of my child hood kinda made me have some mental issues like my mom i have wondered this for a long time and sometimes i think i do i just don't know who to ask.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Z :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z :

I am so sorry to hear about your mother and her diagnoses, I can imagine how her mental health must distress you at times.

Dr. Z :

We do not know the exact causes of schizophrenia and Bipolar disorder, but typically Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder are caused by genetic factors not related to environment

Customer:

Well i know some things of why it could have happened to her is cause of her mom she didnt really treat her right and i dont know alot of details on what happen but yeah

Dr. Z :

Still some researchers feel that childhood abuse can impair brain functions and trigger schizophrenia and bipolar disorder for individuals that are susceptible to it. If you mother has schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder, then there is approximately a 6-9 percent chance that you may get those disorders as well based on genetics.

Customer:

6-9 out of 100

Customer:

??

Dr. Z :

Well even if your mother was not treated well as a child, she still must have had the genetic markers to be susceptible to it

Dr. Z :

Yes 6-9 percent out of 100 percent. So that means there is a 91-94 percent chance that you will not get those disorders

Dr. Z :

Most individuals are 99 percent, but because your parent may have those disorders increases your chance.

Dr. Z :

If you have a sibling that has the disorder than that increased your chance of also getting those two disorders substantially

Customer:

okay well i dont think i have bi polar its just i dont get mad easily but when i do i dont think and she has pushed me alot and here latley i can get mad at any one who pushes

Customer:

i throw stuff when im in that state its just so i dont hit any one

Dr. Z :

Well that could just be a coping disorder and anger management counseling can help with that. It most likely is not a severe disorder

Customer:

well thats the thing i can control it its just her that can make me do that

Customer:

any one else i can just brush it off

Dr. Z :

She is one of those people that really knows how to push your buttons. We all have those kind of people in our lives that just know how to get us really angry. This does not sound like a mental health disorder, but you may benefit from counseling to help figure why she pushes your buttons to create this anger in you

Customer:

okay well last few things um is it normal to when you get mad that while your mad you really dont feel any kinda of remorse

Dr. Z :

Yes that is normal, you are angry, cannot control it, and feeling vindictive at the time. This worksheet can help you express your anger in a more assertive way, so that you can control it better

Customer:

Okay thank you Dr. Z

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.