Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I believe my ex husband has a narcissistic personality disorder

I believe my ex husband has a narcissistic personality disorder and he is targeting our young children by making claims about me, my fiance, and our family. He has instructed my children to hurt my fiance's children. I need a therapist (preferably a Psychiatrist) in the Chicagoland area, who is knowledgeable and experienced with personality disorders and high conflict divorce, and can assist my children in developing coping skills when interacting with their father. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. If no recommendations are available, can you help me phrase my request to get results on a web search.
Thanks.
A worried mom

Dr. Z. :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concerns

Dr. Z. :

I am so sorry that your ex-husband may have a Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) and is trying to manipulate your children to be against you and their new blended family, I can imagine that this must distress your greatly.

Dr. Z. :

Here are 4 good psychiatrists in the Chicago area that specialize with NPD and relationship issues

Dr. Z. :

Also I think these books can help as well and give you some more information on how to handle someone who has a diagnosis of NPD.

Dr. Z. :

It seems like your ex-husband definitely has a severe form of NPD because of how you mentioned that he used what was said in the counseling session against your children. Some studies show that some individuals with severe forms of NPD use therapy as a tool to further manipulate, so actually therapy made them worse, which is scary and very unfortunate.

Dr. Z. :

Oh and here is this other book I forgot to mention as well that can be helpful

Dr. Z. :

If you have any questions or concerns about the psychiatrists I referred or NPD in general, please feel free to ask and I would be happy to help you

Customer:

Thank you for the suggestions and the feedback, Dr. Z. I looked at the doctors' profiles you recommended and they serve older children and adults. Any recommendations for children's therapists?

Dr. Z. :

No problem, there were no children's psychiatrists that have a specialty in personality disorders, but let me look again and also I will look at children's psychologists/therapists as well.

Dr. Z. :

May I ask, how old are your children?

Customer:

I have two resources that I'm using currently in helping me wrap my head around the disorder: Divorce Poison and It's All Your Fault. Both are very insightful, but I'm having a hard time translating the work into child friendly language. My fiance and I debrief and process with the girls when they return home from weekend visitation; and that's helpful, but ultimately I need an expert who can A.) provide therapy for the girls and B.) Could potentially serve as the girls advocate in court in case I need to go that route. My testimony and the girls' testimony is not enough to change the current visitation arrangement. I do believe that what he is doing is causing psychological harm.

Customer:

My oldest is almost eight and my youngest is five. Both are female.

Dr. Z. :

Okay, and I understand why you would want a psychiatrist. I will compile a list of psychiatrists and psychologists, as these two mental health professionals are best when testifying in court.

Customer:

Thank you so much!

Dr. Z. :

Anytime, just give me a few minutes to compile the list for you

Customer:

Take your time.

Dr. Z. :

Okay so this first list is of two psychiatrists, one in Chicago and one in Highland Park, that specialize in the age group of your daughters, personality disorders, and divorce. They did not say if they specialize in NPD, but I am sure they have experience in it

Dr. Z. :

This next group are psychologists in the Chicago area I believe, that specialize in the age group of your daughters, narcissistic personality disorders, and divorce.

Customer:

This is amazing! Thank you so much! I will start making calls tomorrow. I appreciate your efforts greatly.

Dr. Z. :

I think you should probably try the psychiatrists first and then if that does not work, the psychologists should be sufficient for what you are looking for

Dr. Z. :

Anytime, is there anything else I can assist you with tonight?

Customer:

Will do. I'm in a much better space now. Thanks again.

Dr. Z. :

I am just happy to help. I wish you and your daughters the best of luck with everything. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.