Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

Hey , I am a college student , I am a foreigner I am feeling

Hey , I am a college student , I am a foreigner I am feeling a bit lonely. I am unorganized , undisciplined and lost . My head is like a box full of random thought , i am not focused on what should I be doing.

Dr. Z. :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z. :

I am sorry that you have been experiencing these symptoms, I can imagine how distressing this is for you

Dr. Z. :

I would like to ask you a few questions to get some more information and give you the best answer possible.

Dr. Z. :

May I ask, what year are you in college?

Dr. Z. :

Have you ever experienced these symptoms before going to college?

Customer: To play tennis and get a degree
Dr. Z. :

Is this your first year in college?

Customer: Yes , but I have experience with being away from my family , because I lived in Spain in a tennis academy since I was 13
Dr. Z. :

And before going to college have you ever felt lonely, unorganized, and undisciplined before?

Customer: Yes
Customer: No when I am with my family , then i feel organized
Dr. Z. :

So you mention that when friends or girls ask you do something, you get distracted and I assuming you go out with them instead of focusing on your studies and tennis?

Customer: Exactlyy
Customer: I am kind of scared about their opinion on me if I refuse
Dr. Z. :

I understand, let me give some relief that every new college student goes through this because you are now an adult and have more freedoms as an adult in college, so it is sometimes hard to balance your personal life and educational/tennis commitments too.

Customer: And as well i think i am procrastinating subcontiously
Customer: So what should I do to balance them ?
Dr. Z. :

Procrastinating in college is also very common as well. Most of your friends and the girls will understand when you say that you are too busy to go out with them because they are in college too, so you should not feel bad about turning them down

Dr. Z. :

I know that you tried to do the daily activity planner, but it did not work

Dr. Z. :

So here is one thing you can try to do is to still go out with your friends, but set an alarm on your phone or watch for an appropriate time on when to come back, so you can be in your room alone and working. Or you can spend your time in the library working on your studies, so no one would pressure you there to go out with them

Dr. Z. :

You can also ask a good friend to be an accountability partner for you, so when someone asks you to go out with them, this friend will there for saying "Are you sure, dont you still have a lot of work to do....or don't you have practice tomorrow." This way your friend can remind you of your commitments to help you keep on track

Customer: I will try that , and can I ask you a question
Dr. Z. :

Sure, you can ask me anything

Customer: What makes you happy , how do u know if u r doing the right thing . I csme alm the way to the US and i study buisness everyday i am thinking if i did the right choice comming here , is the best place for my development as a person
Dr. Z. :

That is a difficult question, especially at your age because the most common major at your age is undeclared because most students do not know what makes them happy yet and if they are doing the right thing. Most people feel they are doing the right thing when they get excited about what they do and who they are, where they like to give 110 percent in what they are doing because they are passionate about it. Usually doing the right thing is not easy either, it is challenging, but a welcome challenge that you enjoy. There are always going to be rough spots, but a majority of the time you are pleased with what you are doing and passionate about it. Why do you ask, do you think you may not be doing the right thing?

Customer: Because , perhaps the right thing was to go to a different college
Dr. Z. :

Well the good news for you is that you are still young and around 25-30 percent of first year students transfer colleges, so you still have that option. I personally transferred to a different undergrad college as well because I felt my previous college was not a good fit for me

Dr. Z. :

You can discuss this with a school counselor and they should be able to help you in this regards XXXXX XXXXX give you some direction.

Customer: Thank you very much
Dr. Z. :

Anytime, is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer: What is the best tip you can give me for strong mental health
Dr. Z. :

Well I think if you are questioning your mental health, I think seeing a therapist is a good idea. A therapist can be an ally, a supporter, and someone there to talk to and give you advice when you need it.

Dr. Z. :

If you like I can also provide you with some good books to help improve your mental health as well

Customer: That isnt a bad idea
Dr. Z. :

And also most universities have a counseling center, so you can receive therapy for free or really low cost

Customer: Ok Dr.Z thanks for the help i need to go to study , have a good day , do i need to pay each time i wanna talk to u ?
Dr. Z. :

Well if you have a new question you can put "For DoctorZ only" before you type the question to get to me, and this means you would have to pay each time. But if you have follow up questions, you can come back to this question and ask your follow up questions for free after you finish rating me.

Customer: Ok I am gonna rate u amazing thanxs
Dr. Z. :

Thank you very much, and I wish you the best of luck with everything. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.