Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have dealing with whats been said to be depression for years.

I have dealing with what's been said to be depression for years. I've also been diagnosed as having Adult growth hormone deficiency. I take hgh injections and I've been seeing a psychologist but I still don't want to leave my house. I'm obese and am wondering if this could all just be low self esteem or something else. I've been to many psychologists and I'm tired of talking and looking up to see them trying to keep their eyes open. I have no interest in life.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Z. :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z. :

I am sorry that you have been going through these depressive feelings, but have not had a great experience with psychologists, I can imagine how that might distress you

Dr. Z. :

You mentioned that you think you may just have low self-esteem, but not necessarily depression, may I ask why you think this?

Dr. Z. :

Also may I ask, what types of therapies have you used in the past since you appear to be tired of psychologists? Have you ever used a therapy modality called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)?

Customer:

I don't know the answer to that except to say that I am aware that I have very low self esteem

Customer:

I always have but it just gets worse all the time. I'm to embarrassed to be around people because of my weight feeling judged all of the time. I love people and used to be very social but now have anxiety. As far as CBT no I've never had that. I quit my job of 37 years last Nov. & now can't even think about getting another without panic but I'm broke and desperately need to. Pleas I need help

Dr. Z. :

I am sorry that you are going through this, and I can understand how your weight may be causing your low self-esteem. Also low self-esteem is a sign of depression, and since you describe your low self-confidence as severe, this is why others may have diagnosed you with depression. But because this is tied to your weight, the anti-depressants may not be effective for you

Dr. Z. :

Also I do want to say that with the Lexapro, there is a chance for weight gain, so I would recommend an anti-depressant called Wellbutrin that can be used to help promote weight loss if you are interested.

Dr. Z. :

CBT is a very effective treatment modalitiy that you can do on your own to help improve your self-esteem and reduce your symptoms. It is also something you can choose to do yourself, so you do not need to see a psychologist if you do not want to

Dr. Z. :

CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective as well, then your symptoms will lessen

Dr. Z. :

Here are couple CBT techniques that may be helpful for you and then I would like to recommend 2 good books too.

Dr. Z. :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

Dr. Z. :

Also this worksheet can help raiser your self-esteem by replacing your negative self-critical thoughts with positive self-beliefs.

Customer:

Tried it can't take it. Have also been on Paxil Prozac Buspar and others I can't think of right now. Lexapro just seem to keeep from crying all the time but not much else

Dr. Z. :

Also individuals with low self-esteem also have a poor coping mechanism, so this worksheet will help you develop a better coping strategy to manage you’re your self-confidence and depressive feelings better.

Dr. Z. :

Okay, that is fair. I just wanted to mention Wellbutrin to you because it is an antidepressant that does promote weight loss, but it is not as effective as the Lexapro for depression and low self-esteem

Dr. Z. :

Also these books are very helpful in helping individuals raise their self-esteem and stop these depressive symptoms too

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.