Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Can a psychiatrist refer a 13-year-old OKMH0914217

Customer Question

Can a psychiatrist refer a 13-year-old, suffering from chronic schizophrenia, to a psychologist, for an IQ test to be carried out without explaining to the parents that the referral is for an IQ test to be carried out, or later in his report, completely leaves out the word IQ test? 1. A psychiatrist who very well knew “there is no organic basis to my daughter’s illness (MRI scan normal)” referred her to a clinical psychologist for, he explained, a cognitive assessment to be carried out in the treatment of her schizophrenia. The psychiatrist did not say the clinical psychologist would carry out an IQ test, and later in his report, did not say the psychologist carried out an IQ test. There is no mention of, or reference to, an IQ test in his report. 2. The clinical psychologist’s neuropsychological report was not disclosed at the time. It came to light a decade later when a learning disabilities psychiatrist, who had not met my daughter, referred the care and treatment of her schizophrenia to learning disabilities services, solely on the basis of the low result of the IQ test.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that we have a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Expert:  Antonio Colorado replied 3 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. I need some information first to give you a better assessment.

1) How long ago was this?

2) Do you have any history of mental illness in your family or your daughter's family from her father's side? Any at all? Grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins?

3) That was the only IQ test she got evaluated for? I mean, after ten years that was the IQ test they used to make an assessment on her?

4) What is your main worry on all of this?

As soon as you answer these I'll give you an answer. Thank you!!!

Please check the questions I posted in the last info request and answer whenever you can. Thank you.