Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Our 33 yr. old grandson lives with us. He is full of energy

Our 33 yr. old grandson lives with us. He is full of energy for 4 or 5 days and then he goes into sleep mode for another 4 or 5 days, getting up only to eat and use the bathroom. He was diagnosed as ADHD at a young age. He is unemployed and therefore has no insurance to seek professional help.

Dr. Z. :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Dr. Z. :

I am so sorry that your grandson is experiencing these symptoms, I can imagine how distressing this is for him.

Dr. Z. :

I would like to ask a few questions so I can get some more information and be able to give you the best answer possible.

Dr. Z. :

You mentioned that your grandson was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age, did he receive medications when he was diagnosed at that young age?

Dr. Z. :

During his bouts of energy for 4 or 5 days, does he also experience insomnia during that time?

Dr. Z. :

During the periods of low energy, does your grandson also exhibit any depressive symptoms at all?

Customer:

Yes he received meds at tat time til he was 12 yrys old. During bouts of energy he stays up til late hours. During low energy he does seem depressed and sometimes grouchy is I wake him up.

Customer:

sorry for the typos

Dr. Z. :

It is okay, I totally understand. Well it is possible that his ADHD is causing these bouts of high energy and inattention where he cannot focus anymore, but eventually this overtaxes his body and he crashes from it, which explains the bouts of extreme tiredness.

Dr. Z. :

Also he may have something else, but similar, called Limbic ADHD which are symptoms of ADHD combined with symptoms of depression.

Customer:

He was on meds for depression a few years ago but it gave him psoriasis

Customer:

He he got off of them

Customer:

what do you suggest we do for him

Dr. Z. :

Unfortunately, I know he does not have health insurance, but the best treatment for him would be stimulant medication for the ADHD. Or for the Limbic medication it would be a different type of stimulant anti-depressant that would not cause him psoriasis (there a number of them where psoriasis should not be an issue).

Dr. Z. :

Well if he can get an appointment to a free clinic, I can direct you to a website that provides low cost medication or free medication depending on his income status.

Customer:

Can his PCP prescribe this?

Dr. Z. :

Yes his primary care doctor can definitely prescribe this

Dr. Z. :

I would go for the stimulant medication first as ADHD is a lot more common than Limbic ADHD

Customer:

I will try that. Is your answer printable?

Dr. Z. :

Well you can two things; you can scroll your mouse over the entire chat and then copy and paste in a word document. Also a link of this chat should be sent to your email, so that you can always have access to this chat. Would you like the links to website of non-profit organizations that provide free or low cost medication for him, since he does not have health insurance?

Customer:

Yes I'd like those please

Dr. Z. :

Sure here they are:

Customer:

Thank you and thank you for your help. That's all I need.

Customer:

Charlotte Mullen

Dr. Z. :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. I wish you and your grandson the best of luck with everything regarding his treatment. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

Will do TY

Dr. Z. :

You are most welcome :)