Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Hi. I too work for this site....but in IT as an engineer. I

Hi.

I too work for this site....but in IT as an engineer.

I suffer greatly from anxiety, depression - have had sepsis for like a year......i have not long to live. i also abuse substances.....alot. i've been married and such.....

Is this normal? a good bit of my friends that are doctors, engineers and such do the same.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 10 months ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend and colleague,

I am so sorry to here of your serious illness. I know that it is sometimes very difficult to treat but you need to maximize your own immune system by putting as little stress on your body by avoiding drugs, particularly stimulants such as cocaine and amphetamines.

I do realize that these particular drugs can increase you feeling of well-being temporarily, but they overtax your body which will tend to try to remove these toxins while it is already severely stressed trying to deal with your sepsis.

Perhaps the best choice of medication for you might be bupropion (Wellbutrin) because it is both antidepressant and antianxiety in its effect, and may be less stressful for you, unless you are prone to seizures.

It you are not abusing benzodiazepines then lorazepam {Ativan), for general anxiety, or alprazolam (Xanax) or clonazepam (Klonopin) if there are panic attacks as part of your anxiety. There are best used AS NEEDED. Discuss these meds with a psychiatrist and don't take them on your own without advice.

The question you asked, is it normal that professionals abuse substances?

In some circles it is and in some circles it is frowned upon.

It is generally very widespread and a 2010 survey showed that 48.2% of 12th graders used an illicit drug, from a nationwide study of almost 50,000 students.

Thus one can infer that drug use is normal, even if it is harmful.

Being normal means the norm but does not mean healthy or wise.

I shall keep you in my prayers for recovery and for guidance for your physicians, and for you not to burn yourself out because you have given up.

Warmest regards, XXXXX XXXXX (I have a son your age),

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
for me, its booze.....benzos - i do take but like 2 a week -

No one really gets it. I've had a fiance and a wife, 10 years ish total, both left. and it's just really hard.....i at this point just work from home...

Don't worry you will get good feed back -=]
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
And you know, its a dumb cycle - the more stressed you get the more you use. so hard to break, its like being set up to fail.
Dear Noland,

Thanks for explaining your situation further.

Two benzos a week will not hurt you, and they may actually help. Perhaps you can get a prescription so that you can have a reliable source for not much money (alprazolam is cheap).

I don't know how much booze you use, but it certainly is not health for you in your weakened condition.

It is a dumb cycle but addiction is like that. I volunteered at a local jail and worked with addicted men. Being in jail was a helpful break from their addictions, and some stayed off, with some encouragement. It is a something that you have to work on, but may not want to

You cannot safely use bupropion with alcohol as it can increase risk of seizures or blackouts and enhances the effects of both when taken together.

If you want to use meds to quit you can try naltrexone which reduces cravings.

If you want to try an alternative antidepressant since bupropion is not a good mix with alcohol, you might try Prozac, which may have less side effects and may be easier to wean off of..

I am sorry that you are by yourself. It gets lonely sometimes and I know first hand.

I also work from home, of course, and this is a tough job because of the competition and the very long hours. However, I love to help others.

I wish I could give you more help or solace; I mean that with all my heart

I shall continue to keep you in my prayers

Warm regards

Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks.
Thank you. XXXXX bless and heal you. Amen.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist