Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

How can I get help for my 44 year old son who has paranoid

How can I get help for my 44 year old son who has paranoid personality traits, but refuses to go to a dr?

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concerns

DoctorZ :

I am so sorry that your son has been exhibiting this type of behavior, I can imagine how this distresses you to see your son this way

DoctorZ :

May I ask, for how long has your son been exhibiting this level of paranoia?

DoctorZ :

And also has he made any threats at all to hurt himself or anyone else in recent memory?

DoctorZ :

So individuals with paranoia typically will not trust others because they feel other, especially doctors, will hurt them and this is why your son will not voluntarily go get help. Now some cities and counties have crisis stabilization units, that can go to your home to provide onsite mental health evaluation and counseling to your son. Also if your son has made threats or gestures to hurt himself, hurt others, or is considered gravely disabled (e.g. unable to provide for his basic needs like food, clothing, shelter, etc...) then you can call the authorities and he will be placed in mental health hospital or ward for a 72 hour involuntary hold where he will receive an evaluation and treatment. This 72 hour involuntary hold can also be extended by a civil court judge for approximately 21-30 days depending on your jurisdiction

DoctorZ :

I also would like to recommend this book too, as it can give you insight on your son's situation.

DoctorZ :

If your son does not meet the criteria for a 72 hour hold, then most likely he will not be willing to go get treatment because his paranoia is just too strong and dominant. This is very unfortunate, but the law can require treatment for those that are sick unless they meet that criteria that I outlined.

DoctorZ :

*correction: But the law CANNOT require treatment for those that are sick unless they meet that criteria that I outlined

DoctorZ :

I see that you are offline right now, but when you get back online I would be very interested in continuing this discussion with you and talking about anything further you would like to share regarding your concern, so if you respond in the chat box I will be able to get back to you as soon as possible.

*I am sorry there appeared to be something wrong with the chat function, so I am going to paste what I said in the chat for you.

Hello I believe I can help you with your concerns. I am so sorry that your son has been exhibiting this type of behavior, I can imagine how this distresses you to see your son this way

May I ask, for how long has your son been exhibiting this level of paranoia? And also has he made any threats at all to hurt himself or anyone else in recent memory?

http://www.amazon.com/Someone-Illness-Treatment-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0967718937/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378782936&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+not+sick+i+don%27t+need+help+by+xavier+amador

If your son does not meet the criteria for a 72 hour hold, then most likely he will not be willing to go get treatment because his paranoia is just too strong and dominant. This is very unfortunate, but the law cannot require treatment for those that are sick unless they meet that criteria that I outlined.

when you get back online I would be very interested in continuing this discussion with you and talking about anything further you would like to share regarding your concerns for your son and his paranoia.