Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Due to a new supervisor...she was brought in OKMH0909217

Customer Question

Due to a new supervisor...she was brought in over a month ago. I feel she does not like me and wants to fire me..she has used very harassing behavior towards me. I am a property manager doing property management since 1988, very experienced. After a month of this treatment the stress has now caused me to have insomnia, anxiety/panic attacks, which I have NEVER HAD! I am now on meds for anxiety/panic attacks. I am off work right now, dr is putting me on temp disability, may be workers comp. When I think about whats been going on with the job, or talk about it, I have an anxiety attack,very uncomfortable, I feel shaky, pressure in my neck area, nauseated, I get a headache, etc., now it seems to be a daily thing? Your advice? Crystal

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 10 months ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear Crystal,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I understand how this blow has disrupted your entire life.

You are suffering from extreme anxiety may have been traumatized to the point where you may be diagnosable with Acute Stress Disorder, which is a more complex form of anxiety, and is the precursor to Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your reaction to the distress you are experience is extreme but not unexpected or unusual since your entire way of life is being threatened.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You can get treatment for this, but taking medications and going on disability is not as effective as facing the woman who is oppressing you and bullying you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have 25 years of experience and are a seasoned professional. You have a right to go over her head, if possible, and talk to the people who hired her and explain how you are being treated and what the consequences have been for you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If they refuse to help, or ignore you, as management often does (I know well), then you can talk to this woman yourself, in a gentle way, and tell her how you feel about her treatment of you. Perhaps she does not realize that she is going too far and is overdoing it or overstepping her limits. Tell her gently without anger, but fearlessly. You have nothing to be afraid of her at this point. In fact, you might want to approach her FIRST, before seeing her superiors.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If she does not respond favorably, then see the superiors, and if they do not, tell them that you have already spoke to your attorney and he has advised you to speak unofficially with management. Be reasonable, rational, and calm. If they give you no satisfaction the tell them that your attorney has suggested that you file a suit against them for age discrimination. You don't have to have an attorney at this point, but it is best to bluff them if they are not cooperating.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

They do not want to become embroiled in a costly legal battle when it would be so much easier for them to tell the new supervisor to back off.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If they call your bluff, then you have the option of finding an attorney and bringing suit against them. You are over 50.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Join AARP right away and you may also be able to get further advice. It will also give you credibility as a senior.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I see you have entered the chat. Is there anything else that you may want to add?

Customer :

hi...thank you! I have already filed a claim with the EEOC, and my dr is putting me on temp disability, may go to workers comp.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have a good and caring doctor. If you can be well compensated in disability then you may want to take that route, or if you have the stomach for it, may want to fight them or at least put the fear of God into them.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Little bureaucratic bullies make this sorry world even sorrier. I shall keep you in my prayers for a sunny disposition no matter what..

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Count your blessings and resist if you can, and move on if you cannot..

Customer :

That's what I am doing...I am so angry about this..., who needs an illness you have never experienced that is so uncomfortable. Filing with the eeoc , they can't retaliate against me at this point. Its taken me two weeks to feel somewhat better at home...

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Distract yourself and look for other work or other things to occupy your time. May God bless and protect you. Amen.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.