Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Where would be the best place to get treatment for Bulima in

Where would be the best place to get treatment for Bulima in South carolina

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern today.

DoctorZ :

I am so sorry that you are experiencing the symptoms of Bulimia, I can imagine how distressing this must be for you

DoctorZ :

May I ask you a couple questions, so I can give you the best information possible?

DoctorZ :

Typically a psychologist/therapist that specializes in eating disorders is very beneficial, are you looking for an outpatient therapist in your area or a clinic type setting?

DoctorZ :

In addition, what antidepressant are you currently taking?

DoctorZ :

It sounds like you may want a medical doctor that specializes in eating disorders because you mentioned that your throat is really sore and that you already have a therapist, would that be accurate?

Customer:

I was seeing a phd in eating disorders, but felt like I was not getting any where.

Customer:

Yes, I don't now of any in my area. I go to see a new intrenist on Monday. He is very in to diet and weight loss.

DoctorZ :

Okay, what is your zip code, so I can try to find a medical doctor in your area that may specialize in eating disorder treatment.

Customer:

29492

DoctorZ :

Okay give me a few minutes to look for you. In the mean time, may I ask you felt your therapist was not very helpful?

Customer:

I have seen her 4 or 5 times. but also have a long time therapist. The eating disorder therapit is just going over things that I have already talked about before and I need real sturture, I need specifsc things to work on and try. Need somebody nice but firm. South carolina doesn't have much for eating disorders. I would like a day treatment program or something. I need help.

DoctorZ :

Well there are no day treatment programs in South Carolina that I can find specific for eating disorders, and I would not want to recommend you to go to a normal addiction day program that also treats alcoholics and drug addicts (believe it or not but around 10 years ago there were maybe 5 eating disorder treatment centers in the U.S. and we used to send individuals to addiction centers that also treat alcoholics and drug addicts, it was not beneficial) because that can be traumatizing. I did find a psychiatrist in your area that specializes in treating individuals with eating disorders and he is nationally recognized too.

DoctorZ :

I also found a couple of psychiatrists and psychiatric nurses as well, and let me sift through them to get the best ones for you

DoctorZ :

Most of them specialize with children and adolescents, so I am also trying to find ones that specialize in adult care as well

DoctorZ :

By the way usually psychiatrists are best for eating disorders because they can provide great therapy and proper medication management at the same time for you

Customer:

I don't think dr.Brewerton is taking new patients a friend is trying to get in. Should I tell the intreninist about this??? Nobody really knows that I struggle with this and my parents don't even know. I embarssed.

Customer:

I see Dr. Maria Rountree, M.d. She is a psychriast.

DoctorZ :

I am so sorry, I understand that you are embarrassed, but I would definitely ask the internist and it is possible that you can try to be seen. Once you do meet with a psychiatrist on a regular basis, it would be good to possibly bring your family in or possibly have them on a phone call to gently tell them what you are going through and have the psychiatrist explain to them what your parents can do to support you

DoctorZ :

I was going to recommend her actually, she has a specialty in eating disorders. How do you like her?

DoctorZ :

These other three are also in your area and specialize in treating eating disorders too

Customer:

yes I like her. She knows about my Bulimia. Just not much here for treatment]

DoctorZ :

South Carolina does not have a lot of treatment options, but if you can possibly take a medical leave there is a place in Clearwater Florida that specializes in treatment of Bulimia

DoctorZ :

That seems to be the closest to you unfortunately

Customer:

I feel so hopeless about getting better and finding treatment. What is it called???

DoctorZ :

Sure here is the link for you

Customer:

Thanks so much! I just feel hopeless.

DoctorZ :

I understand that you feel hopeless, but you can also try those other eating disorder specialists that hopefully can provide you with accurate treatment. Or ask you current psychiatrist to confer with the Dr. Brewerton regarding treatment

DoctorZ :

This may give you current psychiatrist a good idea on treatment modalities for you that will be successful

Customer:

o.k. Thanks.

DoctorZ :

I know that is a very tough road, and I cannot imagine what you are going through, but hopefully these options will help you

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can do to assist you today?

Customer:

no

DoctorZ :

I want to wish you the best of luck and I hope your treatment goes well for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

thanks and have a good night.

DoctorZ :

You as well :)

DoctorZ :

Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

DoctorZ :

There also appears to be this place in North Carolina by the way