Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

HiOk, ive been diagnosed with gerd andOKMH0907217

Customer Question

Hi Ok, ive been diagnosed with gerd and got treatment with medication. Ever since that, i started to feel weird. First, i am aware that i suffer from health anxiety. Every time i feel some pain for some time, i begin to search for possible diseases on internet. So after diagnosed gerd which symptoms didnt improve over time i started to feel anxiety. I also developed another symptoms like pain in left arm, shortness of breath and fatigue. This made me think that i developed some problem with heart. Got some kind of weird attacks at night. Went twice to ER, they told me my heart was fine due to ECG which was normal. I started feeling tired all the time, stopped going out with friends, stopped with all activities, even started avoiding this girl i met 2 weeks ago. So i went to private cardiologist, did all the tests but he said my heart is fine and that i am surely suffering from mild depression. I have to admit, i am feeling pretty awful lately. Lost interest in all activities that used to make me happy, lost sex drive, feel like i only want to stay at home. When i go out, i feel nervous and cant wait to come back home. So i am really starting to think that that cardiologist is right and that all these symptoms are due to some kind of mental illness. So what do you think?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help with your situation.

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

Do you have some advice?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It sounds as if you are suffering panic attacks because of your anxiety, and some depression as well. Both are situation and your GERD may also be due to stress/anxiety.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

When you go out and are uncomfortable and want to go back home as soon as possible, that is called Agoraphobia (literally "fear of the agora or marketplace in Greek) and is usually associated with Panic Disorder. Both are forms of anxiety.

Customer:

Yeah, i think something will happen to me when im out of house.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have depression symptoms as well, losing interest in activities, lost sex drive, wanting to stay home.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And then you can't be in the safety of your home? If so, that is agoraphobia.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Panic disorder gives you chest pains, shortness of breath, fatigue, fear of dying. You have the symptoms

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What are you your big stressors?

Customer:

hmm

Customer:

first

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your symptoms were well stated and quite clear.

Customer:

yeah

Customer:

i think this all started

Customer:

when i finished college

Customer:

its like

Customer:

i had a purpose

Customer:

to finish college

Customer:

and now i should get a job

Customer:

but i lost motivation

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Why did you lose motivation?

Customer:

i dont know

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Did something else happen?

Customer:

well

Customer:

i broke up a relationship of 7 years

Customer:

i mean

Customer:

she broke up with me

Customer:

so maybe this could be the reason

Customer:

but that happened 3 years ago

Customer:

after the break up

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This is a valid and common reason.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Was it very traumatic for you?

Customer:

it did affect me

Customer:

i was isolated from everyone for 2 months

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

and you have not recovered since then.

Customer:

well

Customer:

i thought i did

Customer:

i mean

Customer:

when i broke up

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have lost your way and you are still anxious about your loss.

Customer:

when she broke up with me

Customer:

i started working on myslef

Customer:

i lost weight

Customer:

started exercising

Customer:

took driving classes

Customer:

i could say i improved myself

Customer:

i finished sollege

Customer:

*college

Customer:

and i was quite happy

Customer:

with this changes

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It was a crushing blow for you.

Customer:

it was

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have not yet recoverd.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

recovered

Customer:

but there was one thing

Customer:

i told you i improved myself after break up

Customer:

so

Customer:

my ex went to high school with me

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Which was the right thing to do but you haven't recovered completely.

Customer:

Ok

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This used to be called Adjustment Disorder but the new psychiatric diagnostic manual which was recently released now calls it Other Specified Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder, specifically "Adjustment like disorders with delayed onset of symptoms that occur more than three months after the stressor"

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This disorder can be treated with psychotherapy - talk therapy - and you could get something that you take when you feel the anxiety, fear, or panic, starting up. It is a great TEMPORARY fix, or a circuit-breaker.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The drug is alprazolam (Xanax) and will stop these attacks. Frequent use can be addictive however (not occasional use) but getting to the root of your problem is the best fix.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There is also an excellent self-help book that you can get via mail (or possible download to your computer) from amazon.co.uk. Here is the link to the book.

Customer:

you can tell me the title of the book

Customer:

ok

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

and one other, a different approach, also effective.

Customer:

ill get that book

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers.

Customer:

ok

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott,

Customer:

thanks for advice

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are welcome. I have also been to Croatia. Beautiful country and nice people.

Customer:

cool

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

:)

Customer:

whhich town did you visit?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Zagreb and some islands I believe.

Customer:

Im from one island.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

so one more question

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Krk, before it was a resort.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Sure. Ask away.

Customer:

you think i should make an appointment with psychiatrist?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

No. Psychiatrist will put you on heavy medications. Talk to a psychotherapist and ask your family physician for a low dose of alprazolam for your anxiety (0.5 mg) and take ONLY AS NEEDED. You need to overcome this break-up once and for all. It was a devastating loss to you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Here is a good breakup recovery book for you too.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A cognitive behavioural approach to change your thinking.

Customer:

nice

Customer:

ill get these two books

Customer:

and i agree with you

Customer:

i dont like medications

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And get plenty of exercise and diversion.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Meds can ruin your life when you just have to change your thoughts and find new avenues for your life.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

ill try that

Customer:

and yes

Customer:

krk is island connected with my island through a bridge

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Wow!

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It is beautiful there.

Customer:

yeah

Customer:

especially now

Customer:

its not crowded anymore

Customer:

but the weather is still nice

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Sounds heavenly.

Customer:

:)

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thank you for your advices

Customer:

il get that books

Customer:

and try to change my view

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are very welcome. God bless you.

Customer:

bye

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Thank you so much, Shane. God bless you.

Elliott