How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ask Eleanor Your Own Question

Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1517
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ask Eleanor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

old friends,husband,grown kids,kicked to curb,when wife questioned about her decision maki

Resolved Question:

old friends,husband,grown kids,kicked to curb,when wife questioned about her decision making, thought process...suffering from exact opposite personality swap..good-bad..what can be done
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am here for you and am happy to respond. Just to be sure I am clear, you are asking this question about your friend Patty who is 49 years old, married with grown children and has had a marked shift in personality in the past 3 years. It has now become critical and she is not trustful of you, other friends and therapist. She has shut you out of her life. Am I understanding correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am her husband..been married 10,together17 years

Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the clarification, Matt. I know you are extremely stressed and worried. Since you say this is such a radical change and that she was a caring and loving person before the past 3 years, I would wonder if there is something physical going on, specifically if she is peri-menopausal and is suffering from hormone deficiency. Did anything significant happen in her life 3 years ago that would have caused major stress?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she was fighting with my teenage son,I broke them up yelled at him and asked her to calm down,she insisted I took his side of argument but that was not the case.Iwanted the shouting to stop so I took hum outside,told him to respect my wife and went back inside to check on her..she thinks I took his side,because I dint,slap him around or throw him out..however,you must understand this behavior by her was in itself not her normal personality..way far from it

Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 1 year ago.
This is helpful information, thank you. I believe your first step should be to rule out any physical causes, take her for a complete physical, including hormone check, brain scan (to rule out brain tumor). This type of personality change does not happened in our late 40s without some physical change, condition or severe trauma. Personality Disorders and Chronic Mental Health Conditions most always manifest by the early 20s. Of course, her behavior could be caused by drugs or alcohol, but since you did not mention those, I assume they are not a factor. But I do wonder if she started any prescription medication around the time her personality changed. So first step is her Primary Care Physician and perhaps OB/GYN. If not physical cause is found, I would ask for a referral to a psychiatrist for evaluation and appropriate medication. It does not sound like therapy is an option for her until the underlying physical or chemical imbalance in her brain is addressed. I would be gentle and supportive and tell her that you want to get her the help she needs, that you miss the person you know she really is and that this is not her fault, something has to be going on. I hope this is helpful. Chat back if you have questions. I wish healing for your wife and peace of mind for you, take care, Eleanor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she will not see doctor as sh sees nothing wrong with het behavior,I cannot support her as she has totally withdrawn from me,and is keeping company with one of our old friends(who three years ago told her she needed help,and she kicked him to the curb)

part of the problem is he worked at a 300 unit apt complex UN Massachusetts,20 years ago.It housed emotionally and physically abused women,such he was happy to use and abuse more.he used to laugh and say he guessed he had no conscience,it used to disgust my wife,yet this is who she has turned to.drugs and alcohol are not factors,but as she sees me, and all our family and friends as the enemy,she herself will not seek treatment.She has one daughter with a behavioral disorder,when on medicine is sweet and kind,off meds(most of the time totally delusional)

most people see my beloved wife acting just like her daughter.patty thinks daughter is crazy and has nothing to do with her

and patty can't see she is just like her

in social situations,patty becomes party patty and acts normal,in her normal everyday life,she is a mess, viewed by all

can.she be forced into car,she is behaving in a very self distinctive nano,severe depression last year,tried to hang herself in a closet,told me about it,and then said I didn't care..Help!!!me please she now listens to no one but him!!!Help,is there legal action,she now wants a divorce,and is spending marital asserts on this loser,who is using her badly..Our whole family misses Patty like the Seth of a loved one,there must be something I can do,before she self restricts,and is alone









Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 1 year ago.
Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry. I am now wondering if she could have been abused 3 years ago by this "friend" or if the relationship triggered some buried trauma from her childhood; as I said, trauma can cause this type of radical change in behavior. Unfortunately, you cannot force her to seek help against her will unless she is actively suicidal or homicidal. It at any time she threatens suicide again of you feel she is an immediate danger to herself or to someone else, you can call #911 and she will be taken to a hospital for a 72 hour hold (in most states) for a psychiatric evaluation. I am not an attorney and cannot speak to any legal action; but you might want to talk with an attorney about an alienation of affection lawsuit against this man. I would also restrict her access to marital assets as much as possible. I am sorry to hear that she is seeking a divorce. I know it is painful beyond measure to watch someone you love self-destruct, in situations like this people often have to hit rock bottom before they can begin to get better. Chat back if you have further questions. I will be leaving the site for an early dinner, but will respond later if needed. If we do not chat again, I wish you the strength you need to get through this difficult time, Eleanor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

in the hands of a man who is going to abuse's not if it's when!?She is not thinking clearly and when she had voiced her opinions on things,she had been told by family and friends that she needs help..I implore you to dig in the recesses of your knowledge,I need a solution b4 permanent damage is done!there must be a way..what's happening to her is a crime,and just saying keep up my strengths,and wait for her to hit rock bottom does not sound like a tolerable answer

Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 1 year ago.

I certainly understand your frustration that there are not more options for you. The is one other option which is worth trying, and that would be an intervention with her. This would mean gathering all concerned family and friends to meet with her and express your concerns and insist that she get help. Before you meet with her have a dr., hospital lined up where you can take her if she agrees. If you have not talked with your family physician about what is happening with your wife, I would make an appointment asap to do so. He/she will know of the best hospital, treatment center, psychiatrist. I am sorry to say that there is really nothing else you can do for your wife, short of having her declared incompetent and that is nearly impossible, but you could talk with an attorney about that option. I would definitely talk with an attorney about what you might do to keep this man away from her. If you have reason to believe he is abusing her, you can report him to the police and possibly get a retraining order to keep him away from her. If you can get him out of the picture, your chances of reaching you wife and convincing her to get help will be greatly increased. I have been practicing psychotherapy and family therapy for over 20 years and know of no other options for you. I hope you will explore the intervention with family and friends and your physician as they are often successful when nothing else has worked. I wish you all the best, XXXXX XXXXX Eleanor

Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1517
Experience: Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years
Ask Eleanor and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
< Previous | Next >
  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
  • I thank-you so much! It really helped to have this information and confirmation. We will watch her carefully and get her in for the examination and US right away if things do not improve. God bless you as well! Claudia Albuquerque, NM
  • Outstanding response time less than 6 minutes. Answered the question professionally and with a great deal of compassion. Kevin Beaverton, OR
  • Suggested diagnosis was what I hoped and will take this info to my doctor's appointment next week.
    I feel better already! Thank you.
    Elanor Tracy, CA
  • Thank you to the Physician who answered my question today. The answer was far more informative than what I got from the Physicians I saw in person for my problem. Julie Lockesburg, AR
  • You have been more help than you know. I seriously don't know what my sisters situation would be today if you had not gone above and beyond just answering my questions. John and Stefanie Tucson, AZ
  • I have been dealing with an extremely serious health crisis for over three years, and one your physicians asked me more questions, gave me more answers and encouragement than a dozen different doctors who have been treating me!! Janet V Phoenix, AZ

Meet The Experts:

  • Dr. Keane


    Satisfied Customers:

    Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
< Last | Next >
  • Dr. Keane's Avatar

    Dr. Keane


    Satisfied Customers:

    Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
  • Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC's Avatar

    Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
  • Dr. Olsen's Avatar

    Dr. Olsen


    Satisfied Customers:

    PsyD Psychologist
  • Norman M.'s Avatar

    Norman M.

    Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA

    Satisfied Customers:

    ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
  • Dr. Michael's Avatar

    Dr. Michael


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist


    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Steven Olsen's Avatar

    Steven Olsen


    Satisfied Customers:

    More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education