Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have had severe anxiety attacks in the last 5 or 6 years.

I have had severe anxiety attacks in the last 5 or 6 years. They are basically under control. I can function at least. I have been to to psychiatrist in Georgia, we seem to get so far and I can't seem to get over the hump no matter what I take. I feel as if I am stuck in the middle. I was told about the medical food Deplin. I have heard of those having my problem taking it with great success. What do you think about Deplin? I do not have a dr. as of now only been living in Jacksonville 3 weeks. How could I get and try this. How do I select a good pychiatrist?

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Customer:

hello I hope so

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that you are have been experiencing symptoms associated with your anxiety, I can imagine how distressing that is for you

Customer:

very much

DoctorZ :

So Deplin is a relatively new medical food supplement that has been on the market since around 2006, it is basically a prescription form of the B-vitamin folate that is supposed to increase the effectiveness of antidepressants.

DoctorZ :

Now there is some controversy surrounding these claims because there are few studies on Deplin and the last one that showed excellent results did not have a placebo group in the study, which is unusual

DoctorZ :

Still if you would like to try it, most psychiatrists would prescribe it to you as it is all the rage in many psychiatric/psychological conferences these days

DoctorZ :

Oh and here is a good medication profile on Deplin for your information

Customer:

Is there anyway to get it without waiting so long. I am waiting for my husbands insurance to kick in. We relocated because of his job and ins. isn't in effect yet. I only have medicare. i was put on disability because of the anxiety and a degenerative spine.

Customer:

I know some of them get samples of these meds. I just hate to wait on his ins. if it could help me now. alot of Doctors wont see you until ins. is effective.

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that you are on disability with anxiety and degenerative spine. According to medicare.gov, there are number of psychiatrists in your area that accept Medicare insurance. Also conceivably a primary care doctor who accepts medicare can prescribe you this as well, but I doubt they are familiar with Deplin, like a psychiatrist would be

Customer:

I think blue cross goes in effect after 90 days and its been 30.

DoctorZ :

So if you are on medicare, you can go to a psychiatrist that accepts medicare insurance to get this medical food. Unfortunately this is a prescription medical food, so you will need a doctor to prescribe it

Customer:

Maybe a clinic could prescribe it

DoctorZ :

The clinic would have to accept your medicare though, and like I said most likely a psychiatrist will be the only one familiar with it.

DoctorZ :

I can give you a list of the 14 psychiatrists in your area that accept medicare though, if you like

Customer:

true. Do you feel they have had any success with it?

Customer:

A list would be great. however could you let me know if you are familiar with any of them.

DoctorZ :

The lack of clinical studies on it and with no placebo groups worry me about its stated effectiveness, but I do not see a real risk with using this medicine, so it could be worth the try

DoctorZ :

I am not familair with any of the psychiatrists in Jacksonville, FL as I am not from there, but I can give you the list though and you can try to make inquires with them

DoctorZ :

Here is the list for your reference

Customer:

i agree I have tried almost everything else couldn't hurt. ok I will look over the list.

Customer:

Any other new drugs you know of that might help?

DoctorZ :

I have met this psychiatrist at a conference years ago though and he seemed knowledgeable, although I cannot say for certain if he would prescribe Deplin

DoctorZ :

Well there is an antidepressant that is going to be approved later this year or next year that has shown great results for anxiety and depression. It is also used in Europe and Canada with great success. It is called Valdoxan, so that may be something to look into when it does get FDA approval.

Customer:

thank you so much.

DoctorZ :

And I am guessing that you have tried all the SSRI medications as well?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

some of the things seemed to make it worse.

DoctorZ :

Have you tried Pristiq? It is similar to Effexor

DoctorZ :

It came out in 2007

Customer:

yes I believe so but I am sending for a list of the ones i have taken and i will see. I changed pychiatrist a few years back and she couldn't believe how many meds he had prescribed in such a short time, and I was still having anxiety and panic attacks. I had about 10 sheets front and back he had prescribed, in less than 6 months. She did stop the severe attacks but could only get me so far. she thought I had a medical problem causing it. But they couldn't find anything and kept sending me back to her.

Customer:

very discouraging

DoctorZ :

I am so sorry to hear that so many of those medications just did not get you over that hump, sometimes Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) can reduce your anxiety in conjunction with the medication to get you over the hump. Also I would like to mention something called Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) that can be helpful for you. It is a low risk procedure for individuals with resistant depression, but recent studies have shown that it may also be effective resistant anxiety. Here is a link giving you a brief overview of it

Customer:

thank you I will look it over and thank you for the help.

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am happy to help. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

ok I will. Thanks again.