Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Is it safe to amitriptyline and the diet drug garcinia cam

Is it safe to take amitriptyline and the diet drug garcinia cambogia

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

May I ask you, what are you taking the amitriptyline for? For how long and at what dosage?

Customer:

I am taking amitriptyline for anxiety. The dosage is 25mg each night before I go to bed. I have been on this drug for roughly 3 months.

DoctorZ :

Okay well you are taking the initial minimal dose of this medication, so you can take this medication with the supplement garcinia cambogia, but I would caution you that because garcinia cambogia can increase your serotonin levels as well, so it is possible that you are at risk for a condition called serotonin syndrome, but unlikely because you are taking such a low dose of the amitriptyline.

DoctorZ :

May I ask have you tried Effexor for your anxiety, as this medication has lower incidence rates for weight gain unlike the amitriptyline

DoctorZ :

Now if you do not want to take the risk of possible Serotonin Syndrome, which as I said is low for you at these dosages, you can switch to a non-serotonin specific anti-anxiety medication and still take the garcinia cambogia, which absolutely no risk at all

Customer:

It was my GP that put me on amitriptyline and I actually began on 20mg per night and then it was increased to 25mg per night, so what should I be doing, I do not want to have another condition adding to the anxiety thing.

DoctorZ :

Well it sounds like you would want to take the conservative route, so if that is the case then I would not take the amitriptyline and the garcinia cambogia combined, and instead ask for Venlafaxine (Effexor) as this medication is very effective for anxiety and also will most likely not cause your weight gain, so you will not need the garcinia cambogia

Customer:

Also what is serotonin syndrome?

DoctorZ :

Serotonin Syndrome is when there is too much Serotonin in your system from too high of a dosage of serotonin agonist medication (e.g. really high dosage of the amitriptyline) or a combination of high dosage medications or herbal supplements that can increase serotonin to upper limits in your body. Here is a link describing it in more detail for you

DoctorZ :

Now some of the higher dosages of amitriptyline can be at 300mg, and this is why you are considered at a very low dosage and why I suggested that your risk for Serotonin Syndrome is low, but if you are very sensitive to medications then that risk can go higher as well. I just wanted to give you all the information possible so that you can make an informed decision