Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

what can i do when i cant even think before i speak when getting

what can i do when i cant even think before i speak when getting angry
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concer

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that you are having this issue when you are angry, I can imagine how difficult that must be for you

DoctorZ :

May I ask, is this a recent development or have you had this issue for a long period of time?

Customer:

i have had it since i was young

DoctorZ :

Okay, and you mentioned that you tried therapy for a little while, did you feel that was effective for you?

Customer:

i went to a therapist, i was on zoloft, nothing seemed to get to the root of my anger

DoctorZ :

Okay, well the medications can help lessen the symptoms of anger, but definitely will not help with the root cause. Can you give me an example of what happened the last time you were angry?

Customer:

well i got frustrated with a coworker and called her a know it all. other times i curse

DoctorZ :

Okay, well have you ever heard of a therapy called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)?

Customer:

no i havent

Customer:

also i hate to say this but i have hit someone

DoctorZ :

Well this therapy is designed to retrain your brain. So this therapy's premise is that your behavior is caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your negative thought process to be more positive and objective, it will lessen your symptoms. Also for anger, it helps you to express your anger in a more assertive way that can be productive. Here a few CBT technique examples for you

DoctorZ :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

DoctorZ :

And the anger decision sheet is probably going to be very beneficial for you

Customer:

should i click on this now

DoctorZ :

You can right click and say open in another tab to see them if you wish

Customer:

i got it

DoctorZ :

So in addition this worksheet can help as well, it is called TRAP/TRAC, I believe you use anger outbursts to isolate your self and avoid a certain situation, so this will help develop alternative and more appropriate coping mechanisms

DoctorZ :

And now also I think relaxation techniques can help you as well.

DoctorZ :

This is a link for something called Progressive Muscle Relaxation that can help you create a long term calm by using muscle tension and release techniques.

DoctorZ :

And this link has other relaxation techniques that are very effective as well. In particular the deep breathing technique works very well

Customer:

i am here i just had printer paper issues

DoctorZ :

No worries, take your time

DoctorZ :

I also would recommend these 2 books in addition to the techniques that I gave you

Customer:

ok got all that

DoctorZ :

Now CBT is very effective with anger management, but it is a gradual approach and does take time to be effective. Usually you will start to see results in 2-3 months depending on how often you practice these techniques.

DoctorZ :

In addition, you can also try a low dose of a benzodiazepine to help with your anger until these techniques start to take hold

Customer:

and where can i get that

Customer:

from my doctor?

DoctorZ :

You will have to ask your doctor for that. Now this medication can be physically addicting, so that is why I recommend a low dose and to not use often, only as needed.

DoctorZ :

But is has a good calming effect and can work very fast if you get a prescription for the short acting benzodiazepines like Ativan or Xanax

Customer:

ok ty for your help

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can do to assist you today?

Customer:

no i am getting started and this helps

Customer:

ty

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

ok ty for your time

DoctorZ :

You are most welcome :)

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.