Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Dear Dr. Keane (only), I wouldnt mind having a good

Dear Dr. Keane, I wouldn’t mind having a good listening ear and guidance for. I’ve been thinking for ages off and on about giving up my voluntary work, well the main part of it because I feel “tired”, I’ve done it for years and years. It’s been really good. It’s something I actually somehow made a success of, even through the initial absolute doubts of my parents when I first took on this children’s club. Mostly I think that I should leave it to someone else to do whilst it’s in a good state, better than what I got it in at the time. I’ve worked hard at it for the whole of my 20s and now part of my 30s. I keep toying with the idea of not doing it, imagining what it would be like not to be planning each terms activities, not being there week in week out, and on one hand it feels like it would be quite nice, on the other hand, I just don’t know. I don’t know how to broach the subject with my team and the person above me. The person who was above me, in charge of all us leaders talked me round and I promised to support the rest of her tenure. Well, I have done that, and now it’s well into the next person’s tenure. I’m sort of thinking of telling them that I would stay on until next summer, that gives enough warning, and gives the newest of my team (who are now young helpers and came to the group as kids themselves, when I was just a helper), plenty of time to get a good grounding and feel settled with my more established team. I think part of it is that I don’t want to let anyone down. I also know that I should be really sure that it isn’t linked to self-esteem. I hope you also got the post with the earrings photo for you.

Added by Moderator:

Dear Dr. Keane, thought you might like to take a look at some earrings I made. So, you used to make jewellery too; that was quite exciting to read that and really interesting fact to learn about you. I bet you made some lovely pieces as well. Did you ever sell some and did you keep some for yourself too? Thank you for your nice comments about the bracelet. I was, and still am, so relieved that you like it and want to see more. I will confess to being quite nervous to what your opinion was going to be. I will show you some more of those when I have more made. It's really very kind and nice that you are interested, and want to see more of my work. I am more than happy to show you. I hope you like the earrings too. Can I ask, did you make bracelets and or earrings then with your beads, when you used to do that? Just interested! Hope to catch up with you too, if we are on line at the same time today. If not, then I certainly look forward to your reply as to what you think of these, and perhaps we may be able to chat next week, if time doesn't permit today. If that is okay with you of course.

View Full Image

Dr. Keane :

Hi, you have been doing this volunteer position for a very long time. If you feel you are ready to move on then you should seriously consider it. It's one thing to volunteer for a position and another to know that you can be free of this responsibility and seriously focus on what you deserve, that is a paycheck. You have a lot of talent, you have a lot of aspirations that you have yet to embark on seriously, this volunteer position may be something that feels "safe" to you. It's familiar, predicable and comfortable. I'd think about your future and what you need to feel fulfilled.I am glad you are rethinking it.

Dr. Keane :

As for the jewelry photos I did see them, very nice.....that is one new venture already!

Checking in to see if you were online, re-reading your post I thought I'd ask why, if you decide to relinquish the volunteer position, would you wait until next summer, that is a long way off. Think about yourself first (no, it's not selfish), the new group will adjust . Maybe three months notice? that's a very generous amount of time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, busy day at work and not a great internet connection at this place where I am working tonight, and out later at a meeting and out on Sat too. I can be online Sat late evening and Sun if that's any good or Tues after 4 is good for me too if you have time. Hope to be able to chat soon about this. Wish I could be chatting to you though. Sorry I cannot be online today. I am seriously going to think and consider what you have said.

Will try on Tuesday as I said in my other post...