Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

Hi, I have just took an online test for bipolar. My mood swings

Hi, I have just took an online test for bipolar. My mood swings are effecting my relationship with my husband and I feel realy traped and don't know who to turn to. I am currently pregnant but had a suspition a while ago that I may have bipolar. Please help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I may be able to help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

First off congratulations on your pregnancy. I am sorry that you are experiencing these symptoms thought, I can imagine how distressing this must be for you.

DoctorZ :

Also those online tests are not the most reliable and valid, so if you do not mind I would like to ask you some questions in regard to your symptoms that you reported.

DoctorZ :

Sorry I got disconnected momentarily. But can you describe your mood swings to me please and how often they occur (e.g. multiple times a day, once a week, once month, etc...)

Customer:

hi, thanks. yes go head :)

DoctorZ :

So can you describe the highs and the lows of the mood swings to me?

Customer:

Yes the mood swings can happen a much as several times a day. am very irratable with them. lso had bad episode the other evening with my hsband and this resulted in agresive shoutind ad rpeating of words and could not cope with it

DoctorZ :

And what about when you have "happy" mood swing, how does that feel?

Customer:

Feels very extreme to the point that can do aything. I feel very happy with myself and life

DoctorZ :

And with the low episodes of irritability and anger, do you also feel intense depression, hopelessness, worthlessness, etc...?

Customer:

Mainly hopelessness.

DoctorZ :

Okay this question may be tough for you, but which lasts longer the highs or the lows?

Customer:

The lows

DoctorZ :

Alright and last question, when did the mood swings start?

Customer:

They started when was 15 maybe. I would go silent wuldnt talk etc

Customer:

I am now 22

DoctorZ :

Alright well I have two diagnoses that are possible for you. The more likely diagnosis is that you have Mixed Bipolar Disorder where you have both manic or hypomanic and depressive symptoms occurring at the same time, and that is why you have the sudden shift of moods in a day. Also another possibility is that you have Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). Here are their respective links describing each in more detail for you

DoctorZ :

Now you mentioned that your GP and therapist were of no help to you, why is that? What was their reasoning not to help you?

Customer:

I went to my GP and said i think may have bipolar. he looked at me and jst noded his head and gave me antidepressants, which made me feel happy alll the time, which did not like. my councellor never said anything about bipolar but said had depression and axiety

DoctorZ :

Why did you not like feeling happy all the time? Could you explain this a little more to me please?

Customer:

I did not feel normal, like i didnt react to bad things in a normal way. just was too happy

DoctorZ :

The antidepressants could have triggered a hypomanic episode, which would be consistent with the diagnosis of Bipolar Mixed Disorder with Hypomanic and Depressive episodes.

DoctorZ :

Can you go see a psychiatrist? Psychiatrist are more adept to assess your mental health and proper medication, since your GP is not helping you

Customer:

Hhow do i go about seeing them?

DoctorZ :

You can ask your GP for a referral to see a psychiatrist, it is your right to see a specialist for your mental health issues because they are moderate to severe.

Customer:

Ok. what would happen?

DoctorZ :

Also I would read the symptoms of Mixed Bipolar Disorder and tell the psychiatrist that you fit this and the reaction to the antidepressant that you had too

Customer:

Ok

DoctorZ :

Well you will be assessed for your mental health issues by discussing your symptoms and past treatment.

DoctorZ :

I also want to give you this link because you are pregnant. It is a link describing the use of Bipolar medication during pregnancy.

DoctorZ :

This is also another reason why you should be seen by a psychiatrist too

Customer:

Ok, so being pregnant wuldnt effect my behavior? also being pregnant they wouldnt give me mdication?

DoctorZ :

A psychiatrist will know how these medications react to your unborn child

Customer:

Thanks for the links, could u email all of them to me as using my mobile at he moment

DoctorZ :

You can get medication while pregnant and if the psychiatrist believes that you do have Bipolar disorder then being pregnant can cause relapses of the disorder and increase in mood swings

Customer:

Ok. thank u so much

DoctorZ :

Actually I do not have access to your email and cannot send you an email per the administrator rules on this website. But after you rate me a link of this chat should be sent to your email so you can always have access to it and all the links I provided for you too. Basically this chat will always be saved for you

Customer:

Ok. lovely. thanks for all your help

DoctorZ :

Anytime I am always happy to help. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

Ok, thank u so much :)

DoctorZ :

You are most welcome. Have a great rest of your day :)

Customer:

U too, take care :)

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.