Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Hello, My name isXXXXX feel like I have a problem but Im

Customer Question

Hello, My name isXXXXX feel like I have a problem but I'm embarrassed to say it. I have moments when I'm super happy my moods are extremely elevated but then minutes later I'm sad unamused with life and I just don't have any motivation or excitement to do anything. Like today for example I made plans with a friend then about 30 mins later I called back to tell him I didn't want to hang out, I don't know why I just no longer wanted to be around anyone, I just wanted to sleep and be away from everyone. I all of a sudden became extremely irritable and tend to snap on people even when they have done nothing. Also, when I am using an object and it doesn't work correctly I yell at it or hit it as if it were a person, my boyfriend has noticed this behavior as well and has told me maybe I should talk to someone about it. I just go through periods where I want to be around others one minute and the next minute I really don't want to be around anyone or when I am around people that I love, I get irritated by their presence out of the blue. I hope I'm making sense. I've felt like I should have talked to someone for a while now but I just haven't gotten around to it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that you have been experiencing these symptoms, I can imagine how distressing this must be

DoctorZ :

May I ask, for how long have you developed these mood shifts from happy to sad/irritable?

Customer:

Thank you! I have been dealing with them for a couple of years. But I haven't really been called out about them until just recently.

DoctorZ :

When you get really happy, do you ever have racing thoughts (multiple thoughts at one time) and incredible feelings of energy?

Customer:

I get a lot of energy I don't get multiple thoughts very often unless I'm extremely anxious about something.

Customer:

I have a hard time trusting people when people are away I feel as though they have been talking about me or they know something I don't know. I get that feeling very often. It makes me suspicious of everyone.

DoctorZ :

Okay, do you feel impulsive and agitated during these mood shifts at all?

Customer:

Yes very agitated.

Customer:

Not so much impulsive depending on the situation

DoctorZ :

Alright, now when you said that you have a hard time trusting people when they are away, what makes you think they have talking about you or know something that you do not? Like what evidence from their behavior leads you to this conclusion?

Customer:

It's nothing they really do. It's just me being paranoid. They could be acting their normal selves and I will feel like they are talking about me when they get together.

DoctorZ :

And do these feelings happen when you are sad/irritable primarily or when you are happy? Or does it not matter what kind of mood you are in?

Customer:

It doesn't matter what mood I'm in.

DoctorZ :

And when you have high energy and really happy, do you tend to talk fast at all?

Customer:

Yes. Sometimes I do.

DoctorZ :

Okay, well to start off with your moods can be caused by a disorder called Bipolar Disorder Mixed State. This is where your moods of depression and euphoria occur at the same time with frequent shifting. Here is a link that can provide you with more information on that

Customer:

I remember looking up bipolar disorder.

DoctorZ :

Bipolar disorder mixed state are usually more complicated then traditional bipolar disorder because of the rapid mood shifts.

Customer:

Oh okay. I see.

DoctorZ :

How often do these mood shifts happen to you in a day?

Customer:

I can't really say how many times. They usually happen throughout the day unexpectedly

DoctorZ :

Okay, well I would recommend going to see a psychiatrist and telling the psychiatrist about your symptoms and seeing if a mood stabilizer medication can help you with these symptoms. If you are put on just an antidepressant, it can cause a severe manic episode so be sure not to just talk about the depression or irritability. Most likely you have Bipolar 2 with rapid cycling

Customer:

Okay thank you Dr. Z that really helped me a lot.

DoctorZ :

Anytime, is there anything else I can do to assist you today?

Customer:

No sir that is all

DoctorZ :

Okay, well I want to wish you the best of luck with everything. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello it's me again. Okay so when a person says that they hear evil voices in their head when they're alone and it tells them to say and do things that are out of character for that person. Does that mean they could have a mental illness? I'm asking this question for a friend who is experiencing this and they wanted to know.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.
Hello again,

This is a symptom that can be considered associated with a mental illness or it can be a response to illicit drugs or medication use.

What you are describing are called Hallucinations, where someone experiences something that involves the senses when nothing is there to create these experiences and perceptions, common examples of this are hearing voices when no one is talking to you and seeing things that are not there. Now specifically hearing "evil" voices telling them to do something out of character are called Command Auditory Hallucinations (CAH) that are considered a serious issue and can be a precipitory sign of future violence if the person obeys the commands. Hallucinations are common symptoms of psychosis (e.g. Schizophrenia), but can also be symptoms of serious mood disorders as well (e.g. Depression with psychotic symptoms and Bipolar Disorder with psychotic symptoms). In addition, hallucinations can be a severe side effect of illicit drug use or medications that your friend may be taking as well.

So my advice is that because this person is experiencing these auditory hallucinations of hearing "evil voices," he/she should see a psychiatrist or other mental health professional immediately because this friend may need a prescription of antipsychotic medications to help stop the auditory hallucinations or immediate removal of illicit drugs or medications, if that is the cause of this symptom.

I hope this helps you and if you need anything else, please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. I wish you and your friend the best of luck with everything and I hope your friend gets help soon.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so much i will be sure to tell them.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.
Anytime, I am always happy to help. Best of luck to you and your friend :)