Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

I have OCD since a long time but I just found out some weeks

I have OCD since a long time but I just found out some weeks ago. I have contaminate thoughts and contaminate words. Like if somebody or myself use a contaminate word or if I have a contaminate thought I will feel that the day is contaminate and I can do anything, I can buy anything without thinking I will contaminate these act or what I buy. Now I am living it I just had a contaminate thought and all I can do is sleep until tomorrow and when I wake up I can start a normal day again. I do't what to do to stop that. I am loosing so much days. I just want it to stop.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

I am so sorry that you are having this level of contamination, I can imagine how distressing this is for you

DoctorZ :

May I ask, are you currently seeking therapy at all or taking any medications to help with your OCD?

Customer:

Yes it's really horrible. I can't see the end.

Customer:

I am taking some medication like sertraline.

DoctorZ :

Okay, that can help with OCD thoughts and behaviors. Also Lexapro is a more effective SSR medication that can help too, if the Sertraline is not effective for you

DoctorZ :

What about therapy?

Customer:

No therapy. Lexapro is goo ?

DoctorZ :

Lexapro has a great bioavailability rate in the body (around 80 percent) so that makes it very effective, but I would also like to encourage therapy as well for you

DoctorZ :

In particular Cognitive behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). These two have been proven to be very effective in helping individuals diagnosed with OCD

DoctorZ :

CBT works best because it helps to change your thought pattern and retrain your brain to help minimize and prevent those contaminating thoughts

Customer:

Ok I will take Lexapro and try a therapy.

DoctorZ :

Well let me show some techniques for CBT to help you and recommend a book or two as well

DoctorZ :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more positive and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

DoctorZ :

In addition, this decastrophising worksheet can help you look at alternative thoughts instead of focusing on the negative contaminating thought

DoctorZ :

What are your OCD and contaminating thoughts primary consist of? Health, worries, etc...?

Customer:

No I have been a victim of a man how show me his body and I feel dirty about it. It's not the only man body I saw before so I don't understand why it affect me that much. So every word and every thought relay to him make me feel dirty and my day too.

DoctorZ :

Okay, so you are also having some self-blame from this traumatic incident as well it sounds like.

Customer:

Yes maybe.

DoctorZ :

Did you feel that this was an emotional trauma for you?

Customer:

Maybe. I just felt really dirty.

DoctorZ :

Okay, well it sounds like you also have a precipitory diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) that may have triggered your OCD. This is quite common actually and can be corrected with the right treatment. Therapy will help you better manage this traumatic event and will help you feel better by getting at the root cause of this.

Customer:

So you suggest more medicine and therapy ? But now what can I do ?

DoctorZ :

Well those two techniques will help you right now, I am also going to recommend a couple books for you too, but ultimately therapy will be the best thing for you in the long term. You do not need more medication right now.

DoctorZ :

So here are a couple of good books

Customer:

Ok thank you.

DoctorZ :

Anytime, is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No you help me thank you.

DoctorZ :

I believe you will get better soon if you combine therapy and your medications. You should start to see results within 2-3 weeks from the medication and then in 2-3 months you will start to notice a lot of benefits from the therapy and medication together.

DoctorZ :

I am glad that I can help you today. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

Ok I hope I I will be better. Again thank you.

DoctorZ :

I want to wish you the best of luck and I hope everything works out well for you. I hope I provided you with excellent service tonight

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.