Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Can I go from 60mg Cymbalta, go to 30mg cymbalta and start

Can I go from 60mg Cymbalta, go to 30mg cymbalta and start Liibryl 10mg while still tapering down the cymbalta? I'm trying to lesson the withdrawl from cymbalta. I was once on Geodon, and liked it. The problem was, if I was even a hour late with my Geodon, I would start to feel cold. I Liibryl the same as Geodon?

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

I would like to ask a couple questions before to give you the best information possible

Customer:

OK

DoctorZ :

I am not familiar with the trade name Liibryl, do you mean Librium (chlordiazepoxide)?

Customer:

Sorry, I mispelled it! Liibryd

Customer:

I think it's similar to Geodon. When I got off Geodon and went to Cymbalta, I went through HELL. I couldn't work for a week.

Customer:

Now I'm going from Cymbalta to Liibryd.

Customer:

(vilazodone HCI)=Liibryd

DoctorZ :

Perfect, Vilazodone and Geodon are not similar at all. Vilazodone and Cymbalata are both serotogenic antidepressants, while Geodon is an antipsychotic. So yes while you taper off the Cymbalta, the Vilazodone will help minimize withdrawal effects

DoctorZ :

Now make sure you are not taking high doses of the Cymbalta and Vilazodone together because that can increase your chance of Serotonin Syndrome, which is a serious side effect

Customer:

I should I taper? 30mg every day for a week, then 30mg Cymbalta with 10mg Liibryd?

Customer:

....for a week. Then stop Cymbalta and switch to Liibryd 20mg every day?

DoctorZ :

That sounds like a good plan to help you adjust better to the Liiibryd.

Customer:

How should I taper from 60mg Cymbalta to 30mg Cymbalta? Sorry for all the questions!

DoctorZ :

You do not necessarily have to wait a whole week before starting the Liibryd, but if you are concerned you can wait

Customer:

I'm currently on 60mg Cymbalta a day.

DoctorZ :

For the Cymbalta you can go to 40mg for 4 days and then to 30mg for the 3 days before you start the Liibyrd.

DoctorZ :

Although you can just go straight to 30mg if you do not feel any major withdrawal effects.

Customer:

hmm, my doc only gave me 14 30mg Cymbalta samples.

DoctorZ :

You can split the pills in half and take 45mg

Customer:

They are capsules....

DoctorZ :

Oh you have the capsules, okay then you cannot split those.

Customer:

When I go to 30mg Cymbalta, which is going to be tomorrow, I should start the 10mg Liibryd or 20mg Viibryd

DoctorZ :

Then you can go straight to 30mg for a week. But if you start to feel some withdrawal symptoms, then add the Liibyrd to your regimen, this will counteract the sudden drop in serotonin that you are feeling from the withdrawal.

DoctorZ :

Start with 10mg,

DoctorZ :

You do not want to go to 20mg until you are safely off the Cymbalta.

Customer:

Ok, you have made me feel much more relaxed about this transition. Your awesome!

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. Is there anything else I can do to assist you today?

Customer:

Give me the winning Loto numbers?

DoctorZ :

1,2,3,4,5,6....but dont quote me on that ;)

DoctorZ :

Also I am not very lucky in that area too

Customer:

Oh, can I ask for you again, and pay again of course if I need your feedback/advice?

DoctorZ :

Yes you can, all you have to do is put before your question "For DoctorZ only" and that will make sure you want to speak to me.

Customer:

Cool. Have a great day! I'll leave you perfect rating. Don't spend it in only one place!

DoctorZ :

Thanks I appreciate it. Good luck with everything and I hope you get absolutely no withdrawal effects from the Cymbalta, the Liibryd should help a lot with that

Customer:

Oh, can I print your advice? My memory is bad.

DoctorZ :

I believe you can drag the mouse to select all of this and copy and paste in a Word document to print. Also a link should be sent to you email, so you can always have access to this chat

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

DoctorZ :

Good luck and have a pleasant rest of your weekend