Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years

My Son recently married a women who over the years has disowned

My Son recently married a women who over the years has disowned her entire family and all of her friends, each for a different reason that is related to disrespect. She likes my Son and one girlfriend only. Just before the wedding she disowned and uninvited me but not my Wife. So after traveling all the way to Italy to see the wedding I was told to go home. She said I disrespected her with no further explanation. I have no excuse for my son and wifes failure to speak up other than their fear of her wrath. What could be the psychological problem that causes this type of behavior?

Hello, I am very, very sorry to hear this and know it is most difficult for you and your family. I am a Marriage and Family Therapist and have been working with families and individuals for 20 years. From what you have shared, I would suspect that she has Borderline Personality Disorder. Symptoms of BPD include a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships and inappropriate, intense anger. The least little thing can cause someone with BPD to cut off or end a relationship and their anger is indeed wrathful. For comprehensive information about BPD you may go to I am afraid that your son is in for a very rough time with his new wife. Chat back if you have further questions. I wish you all the best in dealing with this most stressful situation. Take care, Eleanor