Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

SHALL I TELL MY ELDEST OR WAIT UNTILL UN- DER PARENTS INFLUENCE

SHALL I TELL MY ELDEST OR WAIT UNTILL UN-
DER PARENTS INFLUENCE HE IS OISTRASIZED
AND STANDS ALONE. YOU KNOW OTHER PARENTS
Robert,

If I understand correctly, what you are trying to decide is whether to tell your oldest son his mother is not married. Your oldest son is 17. That is a fragile age but if he is developmentally normal, it is close to being an adult. You are concerned that his friends' parents will tell him this information anyways.

If this is a real possibility, then hearing this news from them would be a hurtful and embarrassing thing. That is true. So, before even considering if he will be able to handle the information or not, we have to consider if it is likely that others will tell him. You seem to think so, therefore, it would be better for you to tell him.

The other consideration is your relationship with him. If this will hurt your relationship, then that needs to be taken into consideration and you may need to let the other parents be his source of information about his mother. Because to hurt your relationship with him is not a good outcome of telling him.

So, if your relationship with him is able to withstand your being the one to tell him this, then yes, you should tell him given that he will find out soon from his friends' parents.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX