Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Is it possible to experience physical ailments due to stress?

Is it possible to experience physical ailments due to stress? the past 10 days I have been having the urge to urinate and doctors so far told me its nothing to worry about(it is not a UTI) I feel like I have to go to the bathroom most of the time of the day. I am really stressed out about this because I need to focus on school. I went to a psychiatrist and they prescribed me klonopin and Luvox for OCD because I was so anxious about this. so far they are sort of keeping the edge off but I still think about it.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern today

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that you have experiencing these symptoms, I can imagine how distressing this is for you

Customer:

they are

DoctorZ :

Yes stress can cause physical ailments

DoctorZ :

In the past 10 days have there been any increased stress in your life at all

Customer:

i am always stressed

Customer:

im a vet student

DoctorZ :

That would do it. Now individuals respond to stress in a variety of ways, and these ways are to help you cope with it, so by you constantly having the urge to urinate is a idiosyncratic way of your body's response to stress.

DoctorZ :

Now the Luvox will help you, but it will take around 4-6 weeks to take effect for you

DoctorZ :

Klonopin is good anxiety, but not usually good for OCD behavior

Customer:

when i first had it i was convinced i had interstitial cystitis which freaked me out even more

DoctorZ :

So you do think it is possible by thinking you had this disorder may have caused an escalation of your symptom?

Customer:

probably, went downhill quickly from there and i started to panic and not sleep at all. That is why I went to the psychiatrist

DoctorZ :

I think that is a good idea that you went to the psychiatrist, you might have developed an acute form of hypochondria, which is OCD related to health issues. The medicines you are on will help with your symptoms, but psychotherapy will help with the root cause

DoctorZ :

The best type of psychotherapy to fix this problem is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).

DoctorZ :

The premise of CBT is to change your thought pattern to be more objective and positive, so that you are not thinking negatively. This will help lessen your symptom(s)

DoctorZ :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the trigger for your health anxiety, the emotion intensity and the intensity of the negative thought associated with that health anxiety trigger. Then you put down how you responded (e.g. panic attack, obsessive compulsive behavior, etc…), what would be an alternative and more rational response to this health anxiety trigger. And then you re-rate your original negative belief.

Customer:

i previously broke out in idiopathic hives a month earlier and was put on pred which gave mean acute panic attack

DoctorZ :

Hives are hard to diagnose effectively because 60 percent of the time we can never figure out a cause. I am sorry you experienced that. I think that this earlier health issue may have prompted your acute form of hypochondria. The added stress of your life also made you susceptible to this

DoctorZ :

Have you considered going to a therapist?

Customer:

i am going to a counsle once a week

Customer:

counsler*

DoctorZ :

That is good, by any chance does the counselor practice CBT at all with you?

Customer:

i am pretty sure

Customer:

do you see this frequently especially with bladder symptomes?

DoctorZ :

I see anxiety and hypochondria pretty often, and some have reported bladder symptoms. Like I said this form of hypochondria related anxiety can stem from any health anxiety, it is unique to the individual.

DoctorZ :

Some are very severe and some are very mild, it really depends on the individual.

Customer:

i see, so how long do you think before i see a change with the medicine and therapy, I know everyone is different

Customer:

i have been on meds for 4 days so far

DoctorZ :

Well with the medicine, you will start to see some benefits in 2-3 weeks, and the full benefits will usually occur in 6-8 weeks time. I know that seems like a long time, but try using more of the therapeutic techniques you are learning in therapy, and I can teach you a couple more if you want too.

Customer:

what about falling asleep easier, the klonopin helps but i keep waking up at night

DoctorZ :

What dosage of the Klonopin are you taking?

Customer:

.5 bid

DoctorZ :

Okay, well after around a week, you can gradually increase that if your psychiatrist is okay with that and that can help you sleep. Also there are over the counter medications like Benadryl and Melatonin that can help you sleep as well

Customer:

no drug interaction?

DoctorZ :

The drug interaction with the Benadryl will increase your drowsiness, and may make you dizzy, but that is a moderate interaction. There is no interaction with the melatonin though

Customer:

is it possible to have a decreased memory with these drugs? since i am a vet student i am worried I may not be able to remember what I need to? Is this more of a side effect of klonopin or luvox and should i feel normal once I am regulated on the Luvox?

DoctorZ :

No, there are no memory issues related to these medications and you are on a very low dose of the Klonopin too. What dosage of the Luvox are you on?

Customer:

25 mg for 5 days then 50 mg

DoctorZ :

Okay that is a decent dose for you. You may have difficulty concentrating for around 2-4 weeks, but this side effect is temporary as your body gets used this medication. There are no long term memory issues though. And yes once the Luvox becomes more regulated in your system you will feel normal again, and the therapy will help you with the root cause, so eventually down the road you may not need the medicine anymore

Customer:

possible weight gain with this drig?

Customer:

drug?

DoctorZ :

There is possible weight gain with Luvox unfortunately. This occurs with most SSRI antidepressants.

DoctorZ :

It usually occurs around 25 percent of the time

Customer:

that sucks

DoctorZ :

I know, I am sorry

Customer:

so do you think i will get better?

DoctorZ :

Yes I think you will, but only with proper therapy will you be cured. The medication just lessens the symptoms, not the cause. It will take some time, but you will get there.

Customer:

okay well thanks, XXXXX XXXXX been very helpful and took the time to answer my questions

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help

DoctorZ :

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me again at anytime

Customer:

okay , until then goodnight

DoctorZ :

I want to wish you the best of luck and I hope I provided you with excellent service tonight