Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I need to ask a question on childhood experience

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your question

DoctorZ :

You can ask me anything you like about childhood experience whenever you are ready

Customer:

Can I say I am an older person who has struggled with depression and anxiety for most of my life. I also have ocd. I did a very bad sexual experiment as a child once I cannot bring myself to say what it is, but I was about 11 yrs old I keep going over it in my mind and obsessing about and feel so ashamed and guilty. Must I feel guilty for the rest of my life or can I be forgiven as I was only a child

DoctorZ :

I am very sorry that you experienced this as a child, I know that these issues can greatly effect someone later in their adult life. You do not have to feel guilty for the rest of your life and experience these symptoms, there are treatments out there to help you start the forgiveness. Here are some worksheets to help give you an idea of what forgiveness entails

DoctorZ :

May I ask, have you ever been to therapy to help you with these issues?

Customer:

I have told anyone

DoctorZ :

Do you mean you have not told anyone?

Customer:

No I once allowed a dog to lick me in an inappropraite place i dont think I thought much of it at the time but I am now consumed with guilt and shame. I am sorry to be so graphic.

DoctorZ :

Please you never have to apologize with me or any therapist, there is no judgement in therapy. I think seeing a therapist on a regular basis would be beneficial for you because these thoughts and feelings of guilt have been festering inside of your for so long that they started to grow and that is why you have these symptoms of depression and anxiety. You were a child and your experimented, it happens to many children. You do not have to let this one event define you, you can learn to forgive yourself and start to move your life in the right direction

DoctorZ :

I would try to find a therapist that specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as this will be the most beneficial for you because this type of therapy can help change your negative thought process as a result of your guilt and transform it into a more positive thought process that will lessen these symptoms of depression and anxiety for you

Customer:

Thank you does this mean i can forgive myself have you heard of children doing this before

DoctorZ :

Yes this has happened before with children, and yes the guilt has effected children well into adulthood too, but right now you are taking the right first steps to help yourself and that is asking for help. You will learn to forgive yourself, but it does take some time and therapy will help you

DoctorZ :

Therapy is a safe environment where you can talk about anything and not be afraid of judgement

Customer:

Thank you I will try to forgive mysef

DoctorZ :

I would like to offer you these books to help you too

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can do to assist you?

Customer:

I appreciate your help

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help

DoctorZ :

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me again at anytime

DoctorZ :

I want to wish you the best of luck and I hope I provided you with excellent service

DoctorZ :

Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much