llw26
llw26, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCPC-2015. Clinical Forensic Psychology
66686948

I have a homework assignment to do an initial assessment using

I have a homework assignment I have no idea how to being can you help?

Attachment: 2013-08-24_144703_auo_psy101_m5_a1_casestudies.doc

Attachment: 2013-08-24_144804_auo_psy101_lasa2_assessment_treatment_form.doc

llw26 :

Hello! I hope I can help...first off, what exactly is your question regarding the assignment?

Customer:

I sent an attachment for the form I need to use and the case study of Joe I am really not sure how to use the case study to fill out the form

llw26 :

Okay, let me look at Joe's case study, one moment please.

llw26 :

So, for the first section it appears as though you are supposed to do the Mental Status Exam, as if you've met with Joe -- since it is difficult to determine how he appeared in the session you met with him; how do you think he may present given his symptoms and past? This is how I would answer the first part.

llw26 :

There is enough information for you to determine his level of risk for the past, present, and future -- you must determine based off of how he presented in the past, how he presented with you (do you believe that he is telling the truth in that he cannot remember? Read over what his girlfriend said, as this will assist you with answer the question). What do you think of his future risk? Does he pose a threat to himself or others?

llw26 :

As for client resources, there again, is enough information for you to determine his level of resources within the community -- you might also want to add in where he could find more support or strength within the community.

llw26 :

As for the clinical write up -- you are going to want to write it up in a manner that appears in whatever form you've learned throughout the semester -- this varies from professor to professor and professional to professional. The way I like to write it out is -- Background information as the first header, then subsequent headings as family history, developmental history, educational history, military history, relationship history, social history, medical history, psychiatric history, legal history, substance abuse history, some of the headers may not apply and I generally like to put that there is not enough information or this information was not provided by the client at this point in time. You are then going to want to write up about his psychological presentation -- there are plenty of clues that can assist with his diagnosis throughout the paragraph -- there is enough information for you to come to a conclusion of a diagnosis or at least a Provisional diagnosis if you don't feel comfortable with a full diagnosis.

llw26 :

For his prognosis, what do you think his outcome will be in the following months? How do you think he will handle the charges brought upon him? How do you think he will deal with the death of his friend -- remember he was in the war -- how does this play a part in his ability to function on a day-to-day basis? What trauma is there, if any?

llw26 :

For the treatment plan -- what theory do you ascribe to? How does this theory see this type of client? How might you begin to build upon a treatment plan that follows the theory? How do you see human behavior and how is it explained through your theory? Then, again, how does this theory explain this client?

llw26 :

What type of therapy would you provide this client? Would you use CBT techniques or a systems approach? This will help with the next part of what goals you want to create with your client, what do you want your client to get out of therapy? This is something I would work on with the client, but for the purpose of class, you can create the goals on your own.

llw26 :

For the summary, you can just summarize all of what you've already done (Mental Status Exam, diagnosis, history, etc). Then for the summary of treatment plan, why does this treatment plan work with this type of client? I would probably include research that suggests why this type of therapy will assist with a person who has a certain diagnosis or has a military background. For the ethical considerations, I would bring up the APA or ACA guidelines and follow them (I am not sure if you're in a MA program or PsyD/PhD, but follow the one that's appropriate for your field). You may even look into the forensic guidelines, as this man would be considered a forensic client (again, this is if this is your field of study, if not you don't need to worry about it).

llw26 :

Does this make any sense at all?

Customer:

yes it does. Thank you.

llw26 :

Perfect! I will let you read through, please let me know if you have any specific questions regarding the assignment.

Customer:

ok thank you it was feeling overwhelming.

llw26 :

Yes, it is a lot to take it -- and most assessments like this are very overwhelming, especially if you feel like you don't have enough information. But what I like to do, especially for class, is just write that there wasn't enough information to provide an accurate detailed description of the client or something along those lines to show that you at least attempted to complete a section.

Customer:

ok I will start working on it. Thank you again.

llw26 :

Not a problem, if you get stuck, please don't hesitate to private message me and I will attempt to assist you as best I can!

Customer:

ok

llw26 :

Good luck!