TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hello, I could use a little help in defining H. Eysencks

I could use a little help in defining H. Eysenck's Trait and Factor Theory. Primarily its "reliability" and "validity". You may keep it short just the highlights. Thanks Reid
Hello Reid, I'd like to help you with your question.

Trait and Factor theory assumes that each person has a number of personality characteristics that define them. These traits vary and depending on the theorist can be measured in various ways.

Factors a.k.a factoring, is typically described as the process for evaluating a combination of personality traits. People like Eysenck and Cattell made assumptions about human being's personalities that are based on these viewpoints.

Reliability is essentially repeatability. In the case of this theory, the person being evaluated would show repeatedly similar results after every trait and factor evaluation. With Eysenck's theory specifically, reliability is fairly consistent as the test measures the same number of traits repeatedly. Therefore, reliability for these types of theories, at least on the surface, appears rather high.

However, validity is when the test measures what it says it measures. In the case of these types of tests, validity measures are rather low. Simply said, tests of this nature tend to be reliable but not as valid. Why? The entire theory assumes that we have a limited number of known personality traits. If we measure them, we understand the person. However, in the case of Eysenck's theory, he identified too few traits. He identified three broad universal traits. This proved too narrow in practicality and although it provided very reliable measures, the limited nature of the three dimensions of personality made it nearly impossible to give meaningful analysis of individuals.

Eysenck's theory also tends to be very poor predictors of specific behavior.

I hope this has helped you,

Thank you so much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it.

My best to you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Kate,

Thank you very much it has help clarify it for me. Reid

You're welcome! Take care