Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Can anyone tell me in detail to what the main difference is?

Can anyone tell me in detail to what the main difference is? My shrink told me they are basically the same and that Lexapro is like a next gen luvox (better version) I have had a lot of success with Luvox for the past 7 years but its makes me irritable and sleepy but other than that it helped my anxiety and severe panic disorder. At the moment i am suffering from depersonalization and panic attacks so my shrink put me on Lexapro for it saying its faster and has less side effects. Does anyone have any experiences these two medications?
Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your problem as i have many years of experience in using both these medications.

You see before i mention to you the differences between lexapro and luvox you got to understand the similarities so as to appreciate their core differences.

- Both of these medications belong to the same SSRI class of anti depressants which means that at the core of it all their mechanism of action is similar that is they act by increasing serotonin levels in the brain.

- When one like you has tolerated and responded well to luvox then most of the times after one has developed resistance against luvox then trying lexapro seems to be quite plausible step and is expected to work because of it's similar mechanism of action to luvox.

So the above two points will tell you that selecting lexapro is not a bad decision instead it is a good ploy which is more likely to work since you have responded to luvox earlier.

Now the differences between the two is that although these two medications belong to the same class of anti depressants with similar mechanism of actions but still there exists slight differences in their chemical composition owing to which their efficacy, onset of action, duration of action and side effects vary from one another.

Due to longer half life of lexapro as compared to luvox it works for longer duration than luvox and therefore it's one dose is longer lasting.

Secondly efficacy wise lexapro is superior than luvox and at the same time it has fast onset of action.

Lastly the propensity of gastro-intestinal side effects and sexual side effects are more associated with luvox than lexapro , so if you did not have any of them with luvox then it is quite unlikely that you will have any sort of side effects with lexapro use.

Also may i add that for anxiety and panic attacks and depersonalization which many times is seen to have been precipitated by underlying anxiety, use of lexapro is considered very effective and far better results are expected with it due to much more power attached to this drug in terms of efficacy.

So all in all you are being upgraded to a better drug and most seasoned psychiatrists across the globe shall endorse the same opinion on this.

I hope this helps you to understand the core differences.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.