Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist
63993671

i have a brother who has been diagnosed with depresion and

i have a brother who has been diagnosed with depresion and bipolar he has been for a while and he seems to be getting worse our family is worried alot about him and we dont know how to help him? he says he has recently been let go from his job as he says they were concerned about his health and driving mum seems to think he could be hiding some of the truth but unsure we really want to help him but dont know how?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. L replied 1 year ago.

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

I can understand why you are concerned about your brother. Does he take medication for his depression and bi-polar? If he does, I wonder if he is taking his medication as directed.

Dr. L :

Would it be possible for someone to check on the medication?

Dr. L :

Also...would it be possible for someone to talk to his employer to see what the real reason was for letting him go. I imagine that they were able to make observations about his behavior and would have a good idea of how he is functioning.

Customer:

ok i will let you know soon am just getting in contact with mum

Dr. L :

If he is having difficulty coping with life, then it would be important for him to be seen by his physician or psychiatrist for a new evaluation.

Dr. L :

Okay...I will wait for your mum's response.

Dr. L :

The medication is a key piece here.

Customer:

he is on lithium and mum says he takes it as he was told by his doctor

Customer:

as far as she knows so that means she cant really keep track he is quiet reserved about it all

Dr. L :

Okay.

Dr. L :

Since you cannot verify if he is taking his medication, then the next step is to get him to see the doctor who has prescribed these medications for a check-up.

Dr. L :

Would that be possible?

Dr. L :

What about talking to his employer and asking how he was doing?

Customer:

we can try but if we ask him to it will be most likely to be resisted

Customer:

will get onto that

Dr. L :

Yes...I imagine that he does not want anyone interfering in his life.

Dr. L :

But...if he is not taking his medication, has been fired from his job, and appears to be getting worse...then you must find a way to get him to his doctor.

Customer:

yes but it is at a point where he has no money and has bills he dosnt pay and mum and dad end up cleaning it up they try to help him help himself but he dosnt seem interested

Dr. L :

Bipolar and depression are not things that one just "snaps" out of....they must be addressed with medication and therapy.

Customer:

ok i will pass that on to mum i live away from home so am pretty much the middle person at this moment

Dr. L :

I'm sorry that your parents are having to take care of your brother.

Customer:

its not that they are having trouble trying to help him he wont seem to let them help

Dr. L :

The best way they can help him right now is to get him to his doctor. Perhaps they can say that they will not pay his bills or clean up after him unless he sees a doctor.

Customer:

mum will talk to him tonight about going to see the doctor again

Customer:

hes 25 sorry think i put 24

Dr. L :

That's fine....the point is that he is an adult and they are having to be his caretaker.

Customer:

ok any chance i can chat to you later after he has seen the doctor or when i have more information

Dr. L :

His irresponsibility and attitude of not caring puts a burden on your parents. Certainly they want all of their children to be happy and to live fulfilling lives.

Dr. L :

Bi-polar is a serious mental issue and medication and treatment provide the best success for healthy living.

Customer:

yes thats right but now mum is worried alot about him

Customer:

ok i will pass this on

Dr. L :

Another way to help your brother is to see what options there are for therapy. He could use a good psychologist to work with him, help him set goals, and to learn to manage the bi-polar.

Dr. L :

Yes...I can understand your mum's worries. The reality is that your brother is an adult and must learn to live a responsible life.

Dr. L :

He cannot depend on your parents to always pick up after him.

Dr. L :

Group or individual therapy are warranted here.

Customer:

ok thank you so much

Dr. L :

You are very welcome.

Dr. L :

Your parents are in a tough spot...and so are you.

Dr. L :

I'm sure it's hard for you to be supportive of your brother when you see your mum and dad hurting because of their worry.

Dr. L :

If you haven't done much reading about bi-polar...you might do so as a way to support your parents and to have a better understanding of how your brother thinks and acts.

Dr. L :

Is there any last thing I can help you with this evening?

Customer:

thats good thank you

Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist