TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

How do I know that my anxiety is too high? Too the point I

How do I know that my anxiety is too high? Too the point I would have to take medication...
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Any time anxiety is high enough that it starts interfering in your ability to live your life then it might be a good idea to consider medications. For example, if you feel so bad that every morning you are unable to go to work or you are calling off work all the time because of how you feel, then it is time to consider trying medications.

If do you choose to try medications, start with the lowest dose possible. Also, consider a medication you can take PRN, which is as needed. That way, you do not become dependent on the medication and you can not take it on days when you feel you can cope with your anxiety. Some of the most common medications taken PRN are Ativan and Valium.

Also, be sure to try therapy and self help as ways to cope with your anxiety. Therapy and self help are the best ways to greatly reduce or even eliminate your anxiety. Although medications can help, they only cover the symptoms and help you cope. They do not eliminate the anxiety. But therapy can do that for you.

I hope this has helped you,
I hope my answer was helpful to you. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!