Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

Can Psychologists provide continuing education credit coarses

Can Psychologists provide continuing education credit coarses for medical staff or physical therapists?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your question

DoctorZ :

I actually just spoke with the CEU department in California (I reside in California as well) and they said if a psychologist is providing CEU courses from an agency that is approved by their regulatory agency then it is allowed, so a psychologist is allowed to provide CEU courses to medical staff or physical therapists if he/she is working for an agency that is on their approved list of agencies.

DoctorZ :

For instance, this is the list for approved agencies that can provide physical therapy, since you specifically mentioned physical therapy. And if there is a psychologist that is working and providing CEU courses for this agency, than that psychologist is allowed to do so based on California bylaws.

Customer:

Thank you. Do you have any more links that may verify this?

DoctorZ :

Well the lady at the CEU office I spoke to said it was in their bylaws, which can be long, but I can try to find you the exact section if you like, just give me one moment. Also do you want me to look under physical therapy or any other specialty?

Customer:

physicians, medical doctors, and physical therapists

DoctorZ :

Okay, give me a second to find the approved agencies for each of those.

Customer:

thanks

DoctorZ :

So this link provides the information on the accredited agencies for physicians and medical doctors. Basically the California Medical Association (CMA); the American Medical Association; the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME); programs which qualify for prescribed credit from the American Academy of Family Physicians; and other programs offered by other organizations and institutions acceptable to the Division.

DoctorZ :

There is no specific list probably because it is so vast I imagine

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.