Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have a son who is 16 years old and would like to talk to

I have a son who is 16 years old and would like to talk to a psychologist-he recently broke up with his girlfriend of 2 years,he is enrolled in a dual credit high-school college program and seems to feel extemely stressed out right now.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I may be able to assist you with your concern today

DoctorZ :

While this website is not designed for therapy, I can talk with your son using this chat if you like, or I can find a good therapist in your area to have regular visits with your son, or direct you to a website that offers online therapy.

DoctorZ :

The face to face therapy with your son is probably the best, XXXXX XXXXX son will be able to build a therapeutic relationship with his therapist which will benefit him greatly in the long run.

DoctorZ :

I can also help and provide you and your son with some techniques and tips to help lessen his anxiety and stress that he is feeling

DoctorZ :

May I ask, for how long has your son been experiencing this type of anxiety and stress that causes you concern?

DoctorZ :

So most anxiety and stress that he is feeling is caused by negative thoughts, so if he changes the negative thought process to be more positive, his symptoms of feeling stressed out and anxiety will be lessened.

DoctorZ :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more positive and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

DoctorZ :

In addition he may like to try Progressive Muscle Relaxation, it is a biofeedback technique that helps him be more attune to his body and in control of his body then he normally would and this can help him lessen his stress and anxiety

DoctorZ :

I see that you are offline right now, but when you get back online I would be very interested in continuing this discussion with you and talking about anything further you would like to share regarding your concern, so if you respond in the chat box I will be able to get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer:

These things sound good to me-if i can get him to try them i will certainly try them.I have used such things myself,but it is challenging to retrain one's train of thought.Thanks for your response.

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

Not today,but thank-you.