Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

hello my husband has in the past said he was going to kill

hello my husband has in the past said he was going to kill himself because we were separated and he was depressed we have since reconciled and started to have some issues again I asked him to leave and he made a claim of ending his life without really saying it. I was worried so I called crisis and they are basing his mental wellness solely on my opinion and not really helping him they want to commit him and I do not think that is needed be just some out patient counseling and low dose meds to help with depressed thoughts. How can I change this determination or get another opinion im at loss please help me help my husband.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

Customer:

please I am grasping here

Customer:

I feel like they are paper pushing cause it is sunday

DoctorZ :

Many Emergency Crisis Mental Health specialists do take the suicidal ideation as very severe and that is why they wanted to commit him, but usually this is only done for a maximum of 72 hours.

Customer:

they give me any real answers

DoctorZ :

Then after they would put him into an intensive outpatient program to help him

DoctorZ :

It is very much like paper pushing you are right because it is the protocol and ultimately they are worried about your husband and also they do not want to be sued.

DoctorZ :

A way you can negate the inpatient hospitalization is to withdraw your statement that he made suicidal ideations and just say that he is very depressed and that you think this can lead to suicidal ideations based on his behavior

Customer:

I feel like they are basing his mental wellness on only my word they dr that evaluated him didn't even see him in person it was video chat

Customer:

how can I do that

DoctorZ :

This can still show that you are seriously concerned about his behavior and ask for outpatient counseling and a prescription for antidepressants until he sees someone in an outpatient clinic.

DoctorZ :

You can call the place that evaluated him, the emergency room, and say that you made a mistake in your statement and misspoke.

DoctorZ :

Or you may have to go there in person. This would cause you to speak to the administrator and take some time to remedy the situation

Customer:

will they have to release him then?

DoctorZ :

If he is already under a 72 hour commitment, now that they observed him in a controlled environment, they can state that his behavior warrants a 72 hour commitment and not primarily on your statement.

DoctorZ :

So they can or they cannot release him, it would be up to the hospital that has him.

DoctorZ :

May I ask why do you think a 72 hour commitment would not help him?

Customer:

he is over and over telling them he doesn't have those thoughts he values his life and just wants to go home to his family and see a therapist to vent his feelings/thoughts to and they say he is lying because of what I said

Customer:

he has been there for 27 hours now and they treat him like he is just a normal guy with no problem

DoctorZ :

I do have to say working in a few inpatient psychiatric hospitals, the weekend staff are usually minimal and that is why he is most likely not getting a good level of treatment. That should change starting on Monday, when there will be a full time staff there.

DoctorZ :

Also the hospital does not have to keep him there for 72 hours and can release patients early under your care if they feel he is not a danger to himself, that is something you can discuss, but it might have to be until Monday when a full staff of doctors and administrators are there.

Customer:

I think he is going to get depressed more staying locked up he gets very upset because he cannot see our daughter and he feels like he is letting his family down because he will lose his job and he just doesn't need to be monitored that way

DoctorZ :

Well he cannot legally be fired for being in the hospital for this short of time, that is against the law, so do not worry about him losing his job.

Customer:

I am a CNA and I have worked with psych patients for 8 years and this is not something he is

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that he is feeling depressed from being in this situation, and I agree if it is not benefiting him then he should be released on the condition that he verbally agrees to seek outpatient treatment

Customer:

he works off the books cash so that doesn't save him unfortunately

DoctorZ :

You may be able to make headway on Monday when the full staff is there, but I think the weekend staff cannot make the decision to release him early and just follow the protocol to the letter

Customer:

he is surrounded by ppl who hear voices and wet on the floor this s hard for him

Customer:

he will b fine at home and reached out to get on a waiting list for therapy prior to this so he wants to and intends to seek outpatient help. they just wont hear it

Customer:

I don't know what the protocol is im so lost

DoctorZ :

The protocol is that once committed he must stay as an inpatient for a maximum of 72 hours, but can be released early if the supervising physician agrees that he is no longer a danger to himself. Now because it is the weekend, most likely there is not a full time staff and that they do not have the qualifications to make that determination, which is unfortunate.

Customer:

he is still in a regular er he has not been sent to a behavioral health center yet

Customer:

he is in pess

DoctorZ :

Oh in this case then, the protocol states that must be evaluated by someone from a mental health ward or center and make that determination to release him or not, or until the 72 hours have been achieved. He is in sort of a limbo in this case because he is not actually at the center that is supposed to treat him for behavioral issues.

DoctorZ :

This is unfortunate and slightly unethical to keep him in the ER, that is my professional opinion, but mental health budgets are shrinking a lot these days.

Customer:

he is ninth on a waiting list for a center

DoctorZ :

For inpatient hospitalization?

Customer:

correct

DoctorZ :

Then most likely he will go on Monday afternoon or not at all to the behavioral center. I am sorry that this hospital is so underfunded for mental health issues, but the 72 hour hold should be starting by the time he was admitted into the ER, not when he goes to the behavioral center.

Customer:

is there a way to get another dr to see him at the er

DoctorZ :

A supervising psychiatrist would be best to evaluate him, but I imagine that will not happen till Monday morning.

Customer:

the man who saw him has only been in practice for 2 years and never called with a definitive response he pushed it to the next guy

DoctorZ :

Was this doctor on the video chat?

Customer:

correct

Customer:

it is Dr. XXXXX XXXXX

DoctorZ :

This is underfunded hospital or in a very rural area. So on Monday you can ask for another assessment of your husband with this new information that you misspoke and that he never actually said he wanted to harm himself, but was just very depressed.

DoctorZ :

The hospital is following the law regarding the 72 hour hold and have to because they do not want to get sued just in case something happens to your husband.

Customer:

so what should I do tomorrow

Customer:

they are now telling him that my statement may not make any difference because they are using a he said she said because there really wasn't anyone else involved

DoctorZ :

Ask to speak to the supervising psychiatrist in charge of your husband or an administrator of the hospital to help you.

Customer:

ok

DoctorZ :

The good news for your husband is that this is temporary and he will get out of this 72 hour hold soon, I know you and him want it to happen sooner, but it will happen.

Customer:

I was hoping to just get him some low meds to help with the depressed thoughts until he could see someone to talk to

DoctorZ :

This hospital does not seem very well equipped to handle mental health patients because of their lack of facilities and him not seeing actual professionals, and that is unfortunate for you and him

Customer:

now they are blowing everything off

Customer:

it is we are located in a small area that serves too many people and they are broke for lack of a better way to put it

DoctorZ :

They blow it out of proportion because they take self-harm issues very seriously and take no chances on it no matter the situation, which is not the best approach for the patient

Customer:

I see a therapist myself for bipolar manic depressed and ptsd and he is nothing like I am

Customer:

I take no meds I stopped and self controlled since I was 14

DoctorZ :

I understand, this is an unfortunate situation and anytime a patient is suspected of wanting to hurt themselves, they have to take it seriously and have a mental health professional examine him, but in this case it was done over video chat which will miss a lot during the examination.

DoctorZ :

That is really good that you have such keen insight of your disorder and that the symptoms are being managed with therapy, a testament to your strength of will

Customer:

I couldn't agree more with things being missed

Customer:

my husband explained that the dr on video said he needed to move on to the next and waited for the tv to move to the next patient

Customer:

after asking a few questions

Customer:

and thank you it was a hard fight but worth it. I am in control of my disorder and it is better this way then depending on meds atleast for me

DoctorZ :

Yeah you need to spend at least 40 minutes with a patient to get a good examination of a patient

Customer:

in person not on tv

DoctorZ :

And for him the medications can be temporary until he gets a good hold of therapy

Customer:

the exam was no more then 5 min

DoctorZ :

Yes I have never done a video chat to make an assessment before, I think I would miss a lot

DoctorZ :

That is unprofessional and I think you should definitely ask for another evaluation on Monday with someone in person, it can even be with a licensed therapist

Customer:

can I have my therapist evaluate him?

DoctorZ :

A licensed therapist or psychologist can evaluate him yes, if they have privileges at that hospital.

Customer:

great

Customer:

thank you this as been very helpful

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help.

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can do to assist you?

Customer:

also could the performance of dr Williams because for report

Customer:

be cause*

DoctorZ :

I would definitely report someone who spends only 5 minutes evaluating a patient, that is unprofessional and not nearly enough time to ask all the right questions.

Customer:

they are holding him the way they are and they have not even tried to give him meds is that weird too?

Customer:

thank yoi

Customer:

you*

DoctorZ :

They have not even given him an antidepressant?

Customer:

no nothing

Customer:

he asked for a nicotine patch because he is a smoker that is all they gave him

DoctorZ :

That is unheard of, no wonder he is worse there because he is not even getting treatment of any kind.

Customer:

correct

DoctorZ :

This hospital is definitely not a good place for mental health patients,

DoctorZ :

Definitely ask for a second evaluation on Monday

Customer:

I was considering contacting a lawyer do you think this is best?

Customer:

I feel he is not even being treated he is just being held

DoctorZ :

I think a lawyer will just take too long and he will be released by then, so I would say save your money, but you may want to consider civil litigation for lack of treatment later if you and your husband choose.

Customer:

that is what I meant for after this

Customer:

against the dr and hospital

DoctorZ :

You can consult a lawyer about this, I think the hospital is providing sub-standard services in my opinion

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

your help is very much appreciated

Customer:

I was lost

Customer:

are u an actual dr for mental health?

DoctorZ :

Yes I am Psychologist, I got my doctorate from a brickk and mortor school and everything

Customer:

great

DoctorZ :

I have worked in many inpatient facilities as well, so I know what the standard of care should be too

Customer:

it is great to speak to an actual professional

DoctorZ :

If you ever have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

is there a way to get u directly when I do?

DoctorZ :

Thank you I appreciate that. I hope I provided you with excellent service today

Customer:

you have

Customer:

idk how these sites work I was just grasping at anything for help lol

DoctorZ :

I understand, but I am glad that I was able to help you today. I want to wish you and your husband the best of luck with everything and I hope his outpatient treatment for depression goes well and that he makes a full recovery

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a way to get u directly when I do

DoctorZ :

In the future you can put "For DoctorZ" before any question to make sure that it goes to me or you can pose a question from my homepage

Customer:

thank you again god bless you!!!

DoctorZ :

You are welcome, best of luck to you and your husband

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.