Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

my 5 year old boy has been scared of loud noises sinse he was

my 5 year old boy has been scared of loud noises sinse he was a baby. he would be shacking f he was in a party with loud music and fireworks makes him crazy it doesn;t seem normal, what do u think?

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe that I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that your son is experiencing these symptoms, I can imagine how distressing this is for your son.

Customer:

i should mention that he has a trouble in speech and communication , i have tried many psychiatrists and many centers

DoctorZ :

May I ask, has his ears been checked by a medical professional? Specifically did the medical professional check for Hyperacusis which is a sensitivity of hearing to certain frequencies.

Customer:

they last told me he has a " short attantion spam"

Customer:

no i haven't check his ears but i'm sure they work well since he loves screaming he is a very loud boy it won't even bother him

Customer:

he has a problem with attention he wouldn't focus at all

DoctorZ :

Yeah but certain frequencies he may be more sensitive to. A child audiologist would be something to look into, at least to rule it out.

Customer:

i will do that soon

DoctorZ :

It also sounds like he may have a panic disorder related to these sounds in certain situations.

Customer:

but could it be "asperge's syndrome?

Customer:

the doctors 1st suspected that since he does well in processing information but then they told me he doesn't have it cuz he does well in "one to one communication" but he gets distracted easily working with peers

DoctorZ :

It could be Asperger's disorder or another autism related disorder, but usually this would also effect other area like movement, vision, etc...

DoctorZ :

Individuals with ADHD may have sensitive hearing and that can account for the attention span that other practitioners have mentioned.

Customer:

he seems normal and he communicates but not like other kids , he seems like he doesn't learn speech skills because he is always distracted

Customer:

yes i put him also on "concerta" pills

Customer:

but he showed no progress

DoctorZ :

How long has he been on the Concerta?

Customer:

he is very active annoyingly active but when doctors sees him he sits perfectly still and they can't tell weither if its ADHD or not

Customer:

for 4 months

Customer:

18 mg

Customer:

one capsule per day

DoctorZ :

Well you would have noticed some benefits of the medication by now if that medication is effective for him, some children do not respond to Concerta.

DoctorZ :

Keeping still during the examination with the doctors is very unusual, so it may not be ADHD or at least a mild form of ADHD.

Customer:

what do u suggest?

Customer:

retalin is not available in my country

DoctorZ :

Did your son reach his developmental milestones on time or was he delayed at all?

Customer:

all developmental milstones reached on time except of speech and communication

DoctorZ :

How does your son respond to following directions?

Customer:

he didn't respond a bit until he was 2 years old and half i had to see a psychiatrist and she told me maybe it was because he is alone and an only child and she advised us to engage him on a day care and giving him omega 3

Customer:

after that he showed progress

Customer:

yes he does respond but i have to repeat the phrase like 3 times to get his attention

DoctorZ :

And when you son is in a quiet and calm environment do you notice if his attention span is better or if his behavior appears improved?

Customer:

he talks in sentenses now like "i want to go to the theme park and ride the swings"

Customer:

and he can tell me what he did in a small story

Customer:

but he can never start a conversation with kids his age i don't know why

Customer:

he loves them and he asks to play with them by name but he never talks to them

Customer:

i don't know about the invironment but in general he does well with us his parents and older ppl

Customer:

he does poorly in school

Customer:

they noticed he is not normal he won't follow instructions there and we acts spontainiously

DoctorZ :

Okay well I think your son may have something called an auditory processing disorder, here is a link to give you more information.

Customer:

although he is very smart he nows all alphabets and numbers and everything

Customer:

ok will do that

DoctorZ :

This explains why he does poorly in school because in school other kids are talking and there are so much stimuli in school that it distracts him too much, but when he is put into a quieter environment with less stimuli, his behavior will improve.

DoctorZ :

Children with an auditory processing disorder hear the same noises as everyone else, but these noises are magnified. Also while we can tune out other nonsense noises, he may not be able to and this causes him to lose his focus to listen to every noise around him.

Customer:

schools in our country won't understand that i'm afraid they will ask me again to take him out of school

DoctorZ :

I understand, seeing a child audiologist can help teach your son techniques to help him in school and be more effective in school, but it will take some time

DoctorZ :

I do not think your son has ADHD or any Autism related disorder based on the symptoms you described.

Customer:

okay

Customer:

thanks for ur help and time

DoctorZ :

Auditory processing disorders are caused by miswiring between the brain and the ears, which cause these symptoms.

Customer:

i'll do that

DoctorZ :

Anytime, is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

what could cause that

Customer:

?

DoctorZ :

We do not know the exact cause, but we think it is a genetic abnormality. But with the right techniques, this is perfectly treatable and your son can live a normal life.

Customer:

okay thanks a lot

Customer:

have a good day

DoctorZ :

You as well, if you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me again at anytime.

DoctorZ :

I wish you and your son the best of luck with everything

Customer:

ok thank u

Customer:

u2

DoctorZ :

I hope I provided you with excellent service today

Customer:

was great of help